Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tom, why do you get so worked up about this? Run what you like and don't worry about what the others think about your platform. No mater how hard you try people are going to have differing opinions of what the "best" is. Don't be that guy that feels the need to prove what he did was the "best". Run it, know you're happy with it and feel proud that you did it. It's a nice ride and a nice conversion done in a state with strict laws. It's an achievement.

Seems car forums get side tracked anymore with everyone asking what's the best "xxx" or guys always posting what they did because it was "the best" way. The best way is always the way that suits the builder's taste and needs. You can't argue preferences, and it shouldn't be a win or lose proposition when guys start offering information. If a guy posts BS facts then by all means we should point it out to protect the integrity of the technical aspect of the information, but if a guy "likes" something for what ever reason we should accept everyone has a different take.

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Thank You !

3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like my BBC

[​IMG]

4. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

Ok. For the new school gurus... I have a novice question please.

If I decided to take the leap and go LS, the one thing that would make it fun, would be building it up myself. I have skills but little engine build experience. I can research and read.

Can I build a reliable engine using off the shelf blocks, cranks, head, with no machining? Can I buy an inexpensive block, stroker crank, and go from there? Just buy and bolt together without any machine shop support? I like to shoot for 416 ish stroker.

5. david.carlton@s

Ok. For the new school gurus... I have a novice question please.

If I decided to take the leap and go LS, the one thing that would make it fun, would be building it up myself. I have skills but little engine build experience. I can research and read.

Can I build a reliable engine using off the shelf components without any machine shop support? Basically buy the parts from Summit or Jegs and go from there? I'd like to shoot for a 416ish stroker.

6. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

On the surface Id say yes, BUT you need to check all the tolerances and clearances carefully. That is no different than anything you would do with any other build. The factory bores are known to be a little out of round , so on a 416 build like you are asking about, most jump up to a 418 just to get the bores nice and round. People build all the time with a factory bore and a good hone, but more oil consumption and crankcase pressure can be possible without a really good torque plate hone. Most agree that you need to have a torque plate on both banks at the same time to mimic the heads being bolted on, to make sure nothing shifts and gets out of round when you do bolt the heads up. It really comes down to how anal you are about the block being absolutely right.

7. david.carlton@s

Thanks. So what does it usually cost of find someone to dress a block before installation? Is the block the only concern? Maybe a short block is a better answer is the rest is bolt on. We used to have a great shop near by (when we used to have a drag strip) but they told me a few years back it doesn't even pay to power up the machine shop equipment. I'm also wondering if a steel block would be a safer starting point for a novice. Yes I can use a torque wrench but I've stripped a few bolts too in my life.

8. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I would go the built short block route if you don't have a trusted "LS" shop around you. The guys that build the LS for a living know the quirks of the beast. I would go with an aluminum block, not iron. To me ,one of the best things about an LS is the weight you loose off the front of the car. It really helps the cars balance to drop 100 lbs off the nose. Just know the torque specs and follow them and use a lube to torque everything up and you should be just fine. If ,by chance you do strip a bolt, a heli core is a quick , easy fix that will last. Aluminum isn't any thing to be afraid of, just do it the right way and it will last as long as any iron block. There are several outfits that offer high quality 416 short blocks, so finding one that suits you is easy. I would probably stay away from an LS3 based 427. Some of the older style 427 pistons would hang the oil ring close to the bottom of the cylinder sleeve and could cause oil consumption issues. If the 427 is what you just have to have, make sure the builder is using the newer design pistons with the higher oil ring. Good luck and Im envious of what you can build by going with a stroker short block. Im using a GM crate LS3 with a cam and intake swap, but I wish I had gone the route you are considering. An extra 40cid and 50 ft lbs can always come in handy !

9. david.carlton@s

Appreciate the discussion. I think I'll want either a stroker or a supercharger to be satisfied with an LS solution. After looking at the price of the superchargers, the stroker might be the more straightforward solution.

10. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most guys who have had a nice bigblock would not have any other engine in a weekend driver