Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

While my BBC was never the most powerful, I would prefer to get more than 13 MPG with my "weekend driver" and still have enough power to be able to take the car on the twisties. I think 20+ is realistic with an LS engine on the highway, and from what I have seen ~25+MPG is attainable.

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yes a LS will do that easy. But there is no sound like a big cid bigblock

3. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

Replaced my bbc with an ls. Although that BBC sounded nasty with a wicked thump my new setup out runs it

4. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

My small cammed L92 will easliy run 22 mpg at 75 mph on the freeway. My stroked and sleeved to 427 LS will do 20 mpg. If you want a 427 cube motor I would either go LS7 or Darton dry sleeve 6.0. R.E.D (Race Engine Development in CA) did mine and it uses no oil. The Darton sleeves are stronger than the stock LS7 sleeves. If I was going to run any type of boost I would run an iron block.

5. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I agree with everything you said, till the iron block on boost. If the plan is big boost, north of 20 lbs, the iron block , or better yet the LSX block would be the way to go. For a street car, Id go aluminum. Boost levels in the 10-12 range can be handled by the lighter block with little ,if any worries about breakage if the engine is prepped right, which is important no matter which block you go with. I would stay aluminum for the weight savings . I know the boost will overcome any weight penalty as far as acceleration , but the extra weight of the chosen power adder will make for a nose heavy car with an iron block, and make it challenging if the car is setup for multi purpose use. These days it is easier than ever to have a car that handles and runs like a rapped ape at the drag strip too. If you keep an eye on front to rear weight distribution , a second gen is a fun car to do everything in. Well, except being a comfortable car for a family of 4 to take a long trip in. No amount of power is going to make those tiny back seats comfortable, LOL.

6. 5spd540

Going to look at a LS2 for a truck project tomorrow

7. newschool72

The LS2 in my 05 GTO was a great engine. In a 3939lbs race weight car, it would trap at 109mph, bone stock long block with long tube headers. At 70mph on the highway, that car would spin the tires on a down shift to 3rd in the T56 and take off like it was shot out of a wrist rocket!:eek:

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Since you took the time to write this, I will respond.

First I NEVER said it was the "best" engine, I only maintain that it is NOT by
    any means a bad choice. I am not the guy saying the LT1 is the best engine,
    I am pointing out that for considerably less initial investment you can get an
    engine that puts down nearly what an LS1 does. The lofty claims drive up all
    costs associated with the LS platform, LS1 engines are "worth" more now as
    they are 15 years old. People lose track of these basic elements as the fog
    moves over their eyes. I see people on Craigslist asking almost $5000 dollars
    for an F-body LS1 engine with almost 200k on it quite frequently. Threads as
    this only toss more fuel on the fire.

All things equal I would be browsing the for sale ads to pick up an LS1 to put
    into the wifes 1999 Camaro SS (with 240k on the clock), but I simply can not
    afford to buy an engine to rebuild. The 1995 Impala SS however doesnt show
    the same worn-out symptoms as the 1999 with the same 240k on it. I found
    someone local selling a complete LT1/T-56 for 1500, with these transmissions
    going for 1200 all day, thats getting a 300 hp EFI engine for free. I posted up
    info earlier on how to get 500 hp from an LT1, the above engine purchase will
    allow 3500 dollars for engine upgrades vs a clapped out LS1 that only has 30
    more hp in stock form. Or perhaps 300 hp is enough, and that 3500 in your
    pocket can be spent on installing the modern engine ..... hmmm

As I have said many times whats "best" for one person isnt "best" for another.
    Not everyone has the need to claim the highest hp, this isnt High School. The
    faster car isn't even always the one with the most claimed hp, ask that guy
    with the 1969 427 Yenko Camaro who lost to a Studebaker.

Tom

9. 5spd540

We will see how a 69 ford:eek: likes the LS2 and a 4l80e trans

10. newschool72

Should be a fun truck! I want to build a 52 ford step side w an LS something and put it in the weeds with good suspension and a T56. But ,as my wife always tells me, Im old enough for my wants not to hurt my feelings ( when I don't get it), lol. Maybe one day, :rolleyes: , but Im not holding my breath.