Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would also agree with this. I saw Holley's truck that had an LS and these covers before they were available and I did a double take on the engine. I was like "oh a BBC in the truck, but it looks funny" as I walked by. Then I realized what I was looking at. If you do it right you can easily fool people. Those covers are a bit expensive though, IMO

2. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

If memory serves, one of the magazines about 2 years ago did what they THOUGHT was a test on ebay turbos on a 5.3. Turns out they actually had a 4.8, but they got close to 900 horsepower anyway. Not that I think that combo would live long, but there's no doubt they can make tons of power.

My beef with LS swaps is EVERYONE is doing them. They're very common at cruise nights and car shows. On the other hand, show up with a Magnuson MP 122 blown or Offy cross ram 350, and you will draw a crowd.

3. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

LS are the engines everyone is talking about , anyway. I don't see them under hoods around here very often at all. SBC is the common engine at shows and track meets by a huge margin. Im going to a local show tomorrow and Id be willing to bet that I will be the only one there with an LS in an older car. May be one or two others, but I doubt it. Just because everyone is talking about it doesn't mean they have one. Just look on this forum. I bet the SBCs out number the LS swap cars 10 to 1 , at least.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i suspect that number is 1000:1 or higher just because that is what they came with.

5. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

X3