Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Speed/Horsepower costs money regardless. Yes you can make it a little easier and cheaper with a BBC, but it is still going to cost a decent amount of money. My cousin is looking at building a BBC right now and he is looking at over $7,000 for all the parts and labor for a mild ~$450HP build.

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a buddy that just built a 540dart block with brodix heads with all the goodies and he has less than 5k in it. The motor made 723.6hp and 605.8 on the motor on the dyno on 92 octane pump gas

3. PolarBear

Your friend must have started with that stuff already and had no labor in the build looking quickly at the prices of those components new your in for over $5,000 for a set of heads and the block alone.

4. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

A big big block will be king in HP and TQ. Cant really get away from no replacement for displacement, except with boost. 540 5 spd, a cheap 5.3 truck engine with a well mapped out turbo setup can be done for way less than the 15-20K you speak of, and with 15-18lbs of boost will easily get the HP numbers you want. A guy over on the carbed forum at LS1tech is finishing up a 6.0 build that he said is about the same dollars he was looking at to build a big block for his 68 Camaro. A single turbo , blow through carb setup that he said is as streetable as a mild SBC. He has gone 10.0s on low boost w 91 pump gas. He turned it up a little w good gas and went 9.40s at 146mph a couple weekends ago.
    For me ,the great power to handling ratio you get by dropping 100lbs ( compared to an iron SBC) is the big selling point for my car. That and an easy 500HP with a mild cam I get with my 6.2 LS3. Makes a well balanced handler with really good "street" power.

5. Stx 09

Stx 09 New Member

I have a buddy with a '89 mustang with a 6.0l with a t76 and th350. He made 600/600 with a bad converter. And he only has about $6k in it including buying the car.

6. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No he bought all new stuff

7. PolarBear

A Dart block is more than $3,000 and the heads are around $900 each, I dont see how your buddy built a 540 with all new parts for less than $5,000. I could see maybe $10,000

8. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Agreed, you would need a really good imagination to make those numbers balance !

9. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

I have over 700 crank hp for less than 5k with my total swap

10. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

And when Chevy came out with the initial SBC, the response was pretty much the same. Stamped rocker arms on pressed in studs? Thin-walled castings? How could it possibly be taken seriously?

So, fast-forward to this thread, and while people aren't pooh-poohing the LS engines, there's a group that's dedicated old-school, and you know what? That's OK! But don't think for a minute that Chevy is going to bring back the old SBC for regular production vehicles anytime soon. They'll still make them for replacement and for off-road (i.e. racing), but that's it.

And if I had the option to go with an LS or my supercharged SBC 383 with aluminum heads all over again? LS would win in a heartbeat!