Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Exactly. If I could build a 540 for $5k I'd have one in the car right now. That's not even counting the crank/rods/pistons, rings and bearings. Ad in all the other small BS stuff and my budget blew past $8k in a hurry, especially if your going for a roller cam.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can't let facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

3. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, I priced out the stuff I wanted to rebuild my BBC and I was over $5,000 and I wasn't going for anything crazy and hadn't factored in any machine work yet. I also priced out building an engine from scratch and that was well north of $10,000

4. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I priced out a SBC 421 build for my 72 with good stuff all the way through and blew by 7K before I quit looking and I already had a virgin high nickel 400 block!
    I bought a crate LS3, swapped to a cam that suits my needs, put a carb intake on it and make north of 500HP without loosening a head bolt ! I sold the EFI intake and factory cam and now have an engine matched to my needs for less $s than the crate engine costs. I have 6K ( way more money than it can be done for) in an LS3 with a total of 500 miles on it so far. I wish I had been more hotrod inginuitous (LOL) and found a junk yard short block and built from there. I was afraid to build it on my own because I didn't want to screw something up and have to start over. I am much more versed in LS tech now and am ready to build a 418 out of the LS3. I just have to blow it up first, lol.
    A person that shops around can build a solid 500+HP LS for the same price as a set of quality aftermarket BBC heads.

5. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm into my LS1 swap for $4200 right now.. Probably be right at $5k when I'm done.. But I bought a bunch of New parts when I could have gotten away with used like complete exhaust, fuel system, cooling system.. Doing the wiring myself and I paid $150 for the PCM reprogram w/ express shipping to/fro b/c I thought I would be way ahead of where I actually am.. Could have saved $50 right there alone.. lol

I pull this off successfully, I don't think I will ever go back to a Gen 1 motor; especially after I learn from the mistakes of the first swap and can do it cheaper 2nd time around.

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

I am well over $10K in my LS build! LOL

7. newschool72

Brother, Ive looked at your build thread! Not the average build, but very nice!

8. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well I can tell you I paid 1100.00 for my brodix heads and 2985.00 for my dart short block through my buddys shop. He owns a machine shop here local. He is in the process of doing the CNC port work on my heads now. So in my long block I have about 4grand not even close to the 10k you think

9. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's $4085, so you're saying you got an oil pan, timing cover, timing set, crank, pistons, rods, cam, lifters, intake, bearings, balancer, water pump, all the bolts, all the gaskets and all the machine work for $915? BS

10. newschool72

Not defending him, but the rod, crank and pistons and usually part of the short block. I still don't see the #s adding up though. I don't see the mark up that high on speed parts. At cost , maybe 40% savings.