Old Sound Deadener/Insulation Removal

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by smac1979, Jun 22, 2019.

1. smac1979

smac1979 New Member

Wondering if anyone has some tips on removing old sound deadener?
    What’s the best way...

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Elbow grease, a big putty knife, cold beer, and good rock & roll. Turned up real loud so your neighbors can't hear you cussing.
    I've also a wire wheel on a drill or die grinder. It helps get those little tuffs that stick to the floor.

BillyDean7173 and dave@ztech like this.
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't want to even think about having to get modern sound deadener off, that new stuff really sticks. I think Dr Pepper is on the right track, especially the cold beer and rock and roll part. You might try a good stiff blade putty knife of even a 5 in 1 scraper from home depot or lowes. I used on to scrape hardened concrete off a ready mix truck when I use to drive one, good tool:
    [​IMG]

Proximity_Alert likes this.
  4. Proximity_Alert

Proximity_Alert Member

I second the 5 in 1. That thing is handy.

5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The 5in1 tool is a staple of my scraping tools as well.

Try to get the stuff cold so it is less gooey. Ice? Dry Ice? So it chips off instead of just smearing.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Have spoken to a few mediablasters who also recommended dry ice. Haven’t tried it myself but apparently you can wack the cooled area with a rubber mallet and a lot of the insulation will pop off.

I had to remove a bunch of dynamat a while ago and found best technique was to score strips a little wider than my scraper, heat the panel from behind and use a fairly dull scraper with radiused corners. Too hot and the dynamat turned into a gooey mess but just right came away nicely and only needed a wipe with some wax and grease remover afterwards.

7. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

The fuzzy stuff on the rear wheel tubs was the hardest part to remove on my car. Finally decided to burn it off and that worked great. Small areas at a time, then sanded and scraped the glue. The sound deadening is going in and I'm about 2/3rds done. hope i bought enough stuff to finish it. It's going be close. Killmat is what i bought and it works nice.

8. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Sound deadener on the inside of the car? I'm thinking of undercoating.
    For inside, I'd use a leather glove and wood wedges (think framing a house door). they conform to the surface. Needless to say, I'd spray some brakleen to soften theings.
    For undercoating, the brakleen and wedge are good with a bit of time. A propane torch speeds the process, but careful what you breathe.