On the control arm or under ?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 72BIGBLOCK, Jun 15, 2019.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

So I was told by speed tech that I could get about a half inch drop if I put my front shocks lower T part under the control arm because that’s how theirs were designed but right now it’s on top of the control arm so all the weight is on the control arm and if I do go under the control arm all the weight will be on the bolts.

Now I checked online and I did see some cars with the shock T part under the control arm

Anyone running the shocks under the lower control arm ?
    Or is this now a good idea ?

Thanks

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If these are non-adjustable, coil-over shocks which replace the coil springs and factory style shocks.... That mounting change will lower the front.
    (By approximately twice the thickness of the combined measurement of the shock mount "T" and the control arm mounting point.)

IMO... It doesn't seem like a good engineering move to put all of the stress on the bolts.
    If wouldn't consider it unless they are grade 8 bolts and larger diameter than factory.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. 72BIGBLOCK

That’s what I was thinking ^^^

But speed tech said that sir design allows you to do this and gives you an added half inch to drop the car.

It’s the double adjustable shocks and I was considering doing this with grade 8 bolts

Hmm I’m starting to think it is a bad idea but that sucks because I needed that half inch

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

On a stock car the shock “T” is already on the lower side of the lower control arm?? If this is a coil over, the coil height is adjustable. I’m confused?

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On a stock car the spring is holding up the car, on the coil over conversion the shock is holding up the car, and the DSE one says to up it on top, and I agree,as the bolts underneath are what is taking ALL the force, are your coil springs all the way down now, on the DSE one , I had to come up quite a bit, for clearance .

6. 72BIGBLOCK

Mine are down all the way. I just need like a quarter of an inch and I’ll be happy