Oops! My weld broke

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by czizza, Dec 19, 2015.

1. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

It looks better. I think you are having a hard time seeing the puddle. It might hold pretty well this time.

Your weld lens may be dirty, or it may be too dark. You may need to use reading glasses or get a cheater lens. Anything you can do to see the weld better will make you a better welder.

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

You are absolutely correct; when I weld it goes totally black and I can just see the glow I cannot see the line so I am welding by the force.

Where can I get a new lens? Harbor Freight?

3. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Are you using a auto helmet or old school. Looks better. Still less wire and you have got to see the puddle. I set my auto to 9 or 10 inside. Another trick get head/helmet as close the the welding as possible. Great improvement. On my old school helemet I use a number 10 lens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Couple things, when you're welding get your eyes to the level of the stinger and watch the stinger come towards you. I never really realized how useful this is until I started using a TIG where you pretty much have to do this. Always push, never drag, this keeps the gas flowing on the molten metal which is very susceptible to oxidization (slag). With that thickness of steel you can grind a DEEP 45 into both sides and just hammer the weld into it. Crank your power way up, that thickness of steel isn't going to burn through easily. The weld metal you fill with is just as strong as the steel you're welding on, the weakness comes from the "heat affected zone," which is essentially where the grains of the metal are trashed from welding, so dont be afraid that grinding a vee will make things weak. I suspect your welder doesn't have enough power to penetrate deeply on that stuff, it looks like its sitting on top a bit still but may hold up just fine. If it breaks, it cost you virtually nothing so who cares ! One other note, the area where the two round pieces meet is seeing a really high stress due to the mechanical advantage from the shifter. If you can weld the full way around in that area you'll be much better off !

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

turn up the heat and let it eat ...

6. big gear head

What lens are you using?

7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Also it should sound like a sizzling egg on a hot griddle.

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I replaced my helmet and it sizzles now when I weld ... speed need to come down a bit ... you can see it works better in the 2nd weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help.

9. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Soo close. Great job sticking with it and learning how to do it yourself correctly. A little less wire speed,

10. big gear head

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015