Overdrive water pump pulley?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Crusty75, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Crusty75

Crusty75 New Member

How well do these work? I'm gonna be using an underdrive crank pulley on my next build so I can keep my A/C and power steering happy. I was thinking an overdriven water pump pulley would make up the cooling losses from the crank pulley. This is going into a high revving 427, cooling will definitely be important. Let's assume a regular run of the mill aluminum rad with a flex fan, or possibly an electric fan, on a stock pump. Will this be a beneficial piece or will I be pissing money to the wind?

Not ruling out an electric water pump either, just wanted to explore the cheap easy option first.

2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

How high is high? I've been using the same size crank & pump pulley, seems to work OK. I only go to about 63-6400.

3. Crusty75

Crusty75 New Member

I'm gonna chip it at 7200, should make power all the way to 7500 though :D

4.88 gears too, so this suckers gonna spin just putzing down the road

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I would start stock sized pulleysand make changes as required. And maybe spend the money upfront for a decent radiator, a good water pump like a stewart and either electric fans or OE style HD fan/clutch setup & a shroud. No dumb flex fans.