P0010 code

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Throwing P0010 code, camshaft position sensor.

Think my question is: can this be an ECM fix assuming sensor and all other variables good?
    08/09 LY5 (5.3) non VVT. harness was out of another truck (6.0) that may have been VVT equipped, either way, running a non VVT adapter plug. Engine is essentially stock with Cold air intake and headers. The DoD should have been deleted I tune but, internally it’s all there.

everytime I get into the throttle, about 4K rpm, something physical happens like a little pop or ping. Starts to run rough and I have to get the car back to normal by restarting the car and/or clearing the code.

the DoD and VVT should have been programmed out but I’m finding out if I didn’t expressly ask in the correct way, the mail order tuner made some assumptions.

got a local guy ready to go but hesitant to start throwing $$$

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Was it running good before hand? It can be a bad sensor or the wrong gear on the cam. Was the chain swapped put?

3. ErikNORCAL

Runs good until dipping into the throttle. GM replacement crate engine with a total of 6 hrs run time and all stock internally.

4. badazz81z28

Did this set-up run good previously and just started or since day 1?

All the internals are still VVT? No experience in this, but I don’t think you can simply just put the adapter on and go. Other mods required? I suspect because the phaser changes the timing, no VVT with a VVT cam may cause your issues.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  5. ErikNORCAL

As stated, non VVT motor..

6. badazz81z28

Erik, sounds like a bad sensor or tune then. I would recommend a chassis dyno tune.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you are running the GEN IV harness and ECM you are going to get a crank sensor code because you can't do the sensor relearn without the BCM. The ECM looks for a brake signal I could not duplicate without a BCM. No mater what I did the ECM never saw the brake applied signal via the buss. I was told the crank sensor will eventually re-learn but until then the misfire codes will not be accurate. I programed the code out and have ran it this way for 4-5 years. Maybe someone found a way since then but I never looked since it runs well, clean etc.

8. ErikNORCAL

Dave, did you have any problems with how it ran before programming the code out? Oh and yes, gen IV, E38 ecm, Manual Trans. Guess I’ll take the dive for ECM tuning, my guy says HPtuners will tell Him a lot.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine ran pretty well right off the bat. I had guy in Maine do the harness work and initial programing. I did have all kinds of trans performance issues related to the programing at first. Three of us went in on HP tuners and it runs much better and shifts way better. The guy that tuned it did had a lot of stuff set up wrong so we just tweaked and adjusted over time as we learned. The GEN IV seems much different than the GEN III stuff. My buddy is the brains behind our tuning. Mine is the only GEN IV of the three and we've all decided no more GEN IV stuff for us, and none of it will be sent out. :)

How did you set up the charging? I initially used the GEN IV set up and let it go default but eventually went with the older alt and used the resister.

10. ErikNORCAL

By charging, do you mean PWM charging? It’s charging but I’m not sure if it’s commanding PWM charging to a Vette C5 cS130D. You can definitely tell when the alternator starts to do its thing.

Thinking need to make some friends with ls swaps to buy and learn a tuner program..