Paint advise

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by twestrup, Sep 12, 2019.

1. twestrup

twestrup Member Lifetime Gold Member

Getting ready for paint and trying to plan it all out. After we jamb the doors, fenders and hood, Should I put it all together and then paint it? I'm not real sure I can get assemble without a few nicks and dings. Getting the AMD inner fenders in place has not been easy, can't imagine doing it after it has been painted. Anyone know what the steps were back when it came down the assembly line.

Thanks IMG_4251.JPG

hubedobeedo likes this.
  2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You'll be happier overall if you paint it in sections in my opinion. That's the way we did mine. The coverage in the door jams and back sides of the doors, under the deck lid/area, bottom side of the hood, cowl and engine bay were all easier to paint with it apart.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^Those are the areas to jamb prior to assembly.
    Also, the entire perimeter of the door frame.

What kind of paint?
    Metallic and pearls tend to lay out more evenly if the car is assembled prior to painting. (So adjacent panels are shot from the same direction.)

I've seen cars where the doors were shot while on sawhorses (horizontal) and the color difference was obvious when they were bolted to the car next to quarter panels and fenders panels which were vertical when sprayed.
    It may have been due to the distance or angle of the paint gun but those little differences can effect the final product.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. twestrup

PPG, Cortez Silver, base coat, clear coat.

5. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

X2

6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

First one I did I took the cap off, jammed everything, put it back together and painted the whole car. Single stage. Probably do something similar this time but I may put a coat in them reassemble and paint second coats.

7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

have you had all the sheet metal installed and lined up to see if its good? you could paint the car in pieces all at once,or do what Twisted said. is it basecoat/ clearcoat or single stage lacquer or urethane.as stated earlier spraying metallic you would want to be careful how you set up job. i did my in stages and will sand all down for graphics and re-clear whole car. and yes my pearl matches adjacent panels(been in business for 40 years) painting has variables that you want keep at minimum increasing positive results .

Attached Files:

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

If you are not experienced at this, put it together and paint it all at once. Pearl is more forgiving than metallic. There is no pearl in Cortez silver. It's all metallic, which is an aluminum flake that can be hard to get even. If you're worried about a paint line in the jambs, get them covered with base, remove the striker after you get the doors aligned, mask the hinge pillar. When you're done with your last coat of clear on the exterior, open doors and put a coat of clear on the jambs.

9. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

It's hard to think of a harder color to paint than Cortez Silver. If you paint it apart the panels are never going to match.

10. twestrup

Thanks, I have been told that