panel adhesive vs. welding

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TX79Z28, Apr 14, 2011.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am going to be patching a lower quarter on my other project, a 60 Chrysler Imperial. I have heard that panel adhesive (like what 3M makes) is supposed to be as or almost as strong as welding. I can't argue with that because I have never used it. It sure has a certain appeal to me, especially not worrying about warping the panel, etc.

What are your experiences with using adhesive for patch panels? Are there certain panels where adhesive would be better? or worse?

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

the OE's use panel adhesive in new cars all the time - I would cut off the old panel, flange the edges to get the new one flush & glue the patch panel on - a good general purpose 3M panel adhesive should work fine

3. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Something like 10 years ago we used some 2 component stuff to glue on full quarters with a 83 S10 Blazer. From memory- had to clamp the panel after the adhesive is applied. A mix of vice grips help. We might have also used sheet metal screws to hold it together until it cured. Wasn't too bad of a project, but the project wasn't anything nice.....

I want to say the brand was Fusar......?

4. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Aren't the outer door skins on 2nd gen. Camaro's glued to the door frames with the ends folded around the frame too?

I bought a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Extended Cab new. Two weeks after I bought it a lady backed into the rear door. The body shop glued the new door skin on it. It came out good. I only keep the truck for two years but it looked like new the day I traded it in.

5. 80-z28

80-z28 Veteran Member

My neighbor used it on his 69 Chevelle. He just had it painted last weekend so I cant say anything good or bad about but I have only heard good things about.

6. 1320n8

1320n8 Member

They use bonding on the F-15's and F-18's fighter Jets. Lots of speed there and twisting and flexing and they hold...I think it is a 3M product too.

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the two part epoxy on at Berlinetta front wheel drive tha the rocker panels were rusted off of it. The rocker panels are the "frame" on them so I had to make sure that the doors fit when I glued it together. I test fit it many times and made sure that the metal was clean before I clamped and SS pop rivited it together. After It all set (about 30 minutes), I removed the clamps, primered it, and rattle can painted the new rocker panels. I drove the car a couple of years with no problems with the new rocker panels coming off the car.

The only thing that I was warned about is to make sure that once you glue it together, you better be damned sure that it's where you want it because you can't move it once the epoxy sets!

8. 1320n8

1320n8 Member

9. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The other is Lord Fusor. I used the 3M stuff in a few spots on my 1/4. In the wheel well to outer wheel house and on the rounded section of the tail panel to 1/4. I welded everywhere else though. If its not a load bearing patch you should be good. I will have to wait a few more months to see if its good enough on my car or not. Fingers crossed.

10. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the 3M stuff looks great, does anyone have an idea how much the applicator gun costs? I would think THAT would be the big expense?