Parking Brake Not Engaging?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Jun 6, 2018.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not being snarky, I don't really know your system. Is the adjustment made on the cable or at the caliper?

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I think Skip Fix has accepted reality. Rear disc park brakes work marginally and barely pass inspection. I have an Acura with rear discs that barely holds the car too. It's not just GM's brakes.

sandiego74 likes this.
  3. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The adjustments are made by tightening the bolts that tie the rear cables to the front pedal cable. I don’t think the calipers have any adjustment to them.

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

My son has a 2007 Solstice GXP. About once a year his E brake no longer holds the car, disc's in the rear, hand brake lever between seats, cables from hand brake to rear calipers. There are many "remedies" for this but the one that works and I use is, remove rear calipers, with a tool wind the pistons back into the calipers till bottomed, re-install the calipers and then pump the brakes pedal 4 or 5 times till pedal is at normal height and hard. After all this E brake works as designed. If the calipers used in these rear disc brake kits are the GM type that to push the pistons into the calipers you must wind it in, you may have to try the procedure I've outlined above. Adjusting the cables won't work and my cause the pads to drag the rotor.

sandiego74 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What does the lever on the caliper look like? It it fully actuating? A mechanical parking brake not holding is adjustment. BTW, it’s not uncommon for the adjusting nut on the stud to vibrate loose and loosen up the adjustment.

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't try any further adjustments, in fact you may have your cables too tight already but see how this works:

With the '79 Trans Am brakes, which I think are pretty close to the same as you have, which I think use the cadillac calipers (TA calipers are a little different) try pushing and releasing the brake fully 30 times, yes 30 and fully depress it. That should restore it if they are ratcheting adjusters. That basically "ratchets" the bad closer to the disc. As the pads wear they get farther away and if you don't regularly use the parking brake they get out of adjustment.

I tried adjusting everything and couldn't get them to work. I did the above after reading up on a TA site and it went from rolling on a small incline to holding on really steep inclines like my Kwik lift ramps.......

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    sandiego74 likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ What if you push and hold the brake while actuating the parking brake?

cadillac_al and sandiego74 like this.
  8. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This thought never crossed my mind, and it makes complete sense. I'll definitely try this and depressing the brake pedal while adjusting the parking brake cables. Thank you, everyone! This is why I love this forum.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would try it first without holding down the brake pedal. It may not ratchet in with the pads all the way against the rotors. Look forward to hearing the results.

sandiego74 likes this.
  10. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

food for thought......I had similar issues - rear discs not locking up properly with emergency brake engaged.....anyway, the drivers side cable was rubbing against the frame rail - the protective coating partially "melted" into the steel core cable portion - thus seizing the cable - cable was not able to properly engage the parking brake mechanism = took the cable out, removed the outer coating that was melted, re-installed cable - now parking brake works perfect.