Patching cast iron?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Johnny1979, Nov 26, 2019.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

All it takes is a stuck water valve or dead controller. Low water, high heat, failed metal, KABOOM - there goes the roof, windows, and anyone in the area. Be careful.

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I worked in HVAC back in the1970's. DON'T TRY TO REPAIR IT! Bite the bullet and get a new boiler for many reasons: safety first. Secondly, a new boiler will be more efficient saving you fuel costs.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

Buy a new one, some things in life you just never go the cheapo way, this is one of them. To boot the boiler is probably fatigued in other areas that you cannot see or locate. Yep, I have used JB Weld on many a rigger. I even have it currently on my 383 in a water jacket I went thru when clearancing. So far so good. However, big difference in something that is in a dwelling.

I have an account at RE Michel who is a large supplier of HVAC products including boilers. I see you are in New York, RE Michel has 16 locations in NY. PM me and if you are interested I may be able to assist with a deep discount on a new boiler. My account is an on-demand account, e.g. payment options; cash, credit, or debit. It is NOT a Net 30 account. I have had the account for 20~ years so the discounts are deep.

RE Michel Link: https://www.remichel.com/WebServices/LocateBranch

hubedobeedo and jeff swisher like this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I don't know if you have home owners insurance. But My insurance company required me to replace my water heater even though I had No problems at all with it. It was installed in 1985. Never leaked but I did replace the heat elements and the thermostats a few years ago. I do drain and clear the tank about once a year. Probably why it lasted so long. The bottom line was, if I refused to upgrade then I would have been dropped. Then you have to go through the process of searching for a new policy. The new company would require an inspection and pictures of every friggin thing. Plus you will be black balled by your company that dropped you. Better off getting a new unit and have it inspected by local permit office. Insurance companies look for that stuff.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that's a offer i would take for the piece of mind,better safe than sorry.

6. Jack richer

Jack richer New Member

JB Weld would be my first go to.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019