PCV Set up

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Zoomin, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

I have a 73 Z28 that I would like to get looking as close to stock as is practical, but I don't have the correct air cleaner base that would have the tube to connect to the passenger side valve cover.

It appears that the driver side valve cover should have a pcv valve with a 90* fitting that the hose to the front of the carb base attaches to. I think I have a pretty good bead on how to do the drivers side, but don't know how to approach the passenger side.

I've looked at several vendors but can't find any that address this. Any input?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There should be a way to connect the line to your air cleaner and make it look similar to the way the factory did it. I don't have a picture of the factory system, but you can easily punch a hole of the correct size in the air cleaner using an electrician's hole punch. Once you have the hole in the correct position, you can install a tube or hose in it and it will work like original, and if you are creative enough, it even might look similar to original.

3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I was also missing the air cleaner for my 73 Z and refused to pay close to a grand for an ebay one but turns out my 68 big block vette has the same base except the steel tube is a larger diameter (and pretty sure there reproduced) my vette came with an extra. I already had the elbow that goes into the valve cover, bought a random hose from NAPA then bought a piece of plastic pvc to connect the two. Keep meaning to paint that pvc black though, keep forgetting.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Very creative. That's exactly what I'm wanting to accomplish- get the look without spending stupid(er) money.

I shop some Vette vendors and see what's available there. Thanks!

- great looking engine too

bodymanbill likes this.
  5. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

bodymanbill, thanks for the tip sir. Turns out the Vette was produced with the LT1 from 70 to 72. Not only that but it turns out the Vette aftermarket is more robust than it is for our 2nd gens and darned if they don't have the air cleaner base with the steel tube already welded in, and the have the flame arrester and the other pieces too.

So a nice way to get the setup for less than $130 all in. I'll post back after I receive the pieces and see if they fit.

bodymanbill likes this.
  6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Zoomin, Just a heads up, the 70-72 LT1s used the Holley carb. Not sure if the open element Holley air cleaner base will interchange with a Quadrajet. The 68-69 small block vettes used the open air cleaner with a Quadrajet carb.
    DSC_3702-562x374.jpg

7. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Ok, we"lol find out here pretty quick.

That's is a great looking engine compartment, very nicely done.

8. bodymanbill

image.jpg Heres my base from my 68 BB Vette it's exactly the same as the 73Z except the diameter of the tube. image.jpg

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Bill, is the vent/crankcase tube clocked the same on both bases? Is the end of the tube on the BB base tapered like the 73Z or ringed? Does the BB base sit up higher on the carb to avoid the EGR valve like the 73Z?

Also, what is the diameter on the BB tube? I have a base at home that's very close to my 73Z base and I don't know what it's from. The seller only knew that it came from a late '60s car. I'm wondering if it's a BB base like yours. Thanks

10. bodymanbill

image.jpg Billy there the same in every way except the tube diameter, not sure of the measurement there both on my Camaro and Corvette right now. I'll take one off this weekend and check. U can see on this pic it clears my egr perfectly.

BillyDean7173 likes this.