Peanut Port 461 goes 11.70's

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Aug 4, 2019.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yep, totally depends, it's one of those "try it out" deals. You mention the rough intake finish, what are you doing, the slow 80-60 grit rolls or the Burr finish or the aggressive "Bent Burr" type deal?

Gone down this road before, or a better term "rabbit hole". I swore I gave my hands (and me) GD nerve damage lol.

1980RS likes this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I am doing the bent burr finish but I do not have any problems afterward with my hands or wrists, lucky I guess. It was something to try but being I do not have enough time or data yet to evaluate if it helps or hurts performance. I know that too smooth of a finish in the intake track and ports can have fuel drop out which leads to puddling on the port floor and this was suggested to me by someone who has a lot of experience with this. Most of the time I do all my porting in the late fall and winter to keep me busy, sure worked out last year but sure as hell the weather in the spring really screwed everything up so I still have a bunch of stuff to try. A few more bolts and the engine will be out of the car today.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Peanut Port engine is out, new changes coming soon.

UPDATE: lot of oil in the cyls. so looks like new rings and bearings as long as I have it apart. No wonder the MPH is down.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

was is sucking through an intake gasket or possibly past the valves

1980RS likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jeff it may have been through the intake manifold as some of the ports were oily. I decided to tear it down to make sure there was not too much damage. There are some bearings that were iffy so I have new rings, bearings and gaskets coming this week. Just got the 215's together so along with the Crower 274 cam and the Air gap we will see what performance difference there is with 236 peanut ported heads and closed chambered 215's with just a bowl clean up along with a performance valve job. I will also run the 2" Hooker super comps on this, if I lose tq. then I will add the merge collectors to get it back. The real good new was that the Venolia pistons (13to1) did turn out to be .030 so next year it's going to get them put in with 990's, may have to do a little work and fluff them up. LOL.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

215's are on, Crower cam is in, new bearings, moly rings and a new 8qt. oil pan that a I will only run 6 qt's in for less windage. Should be running this week. Cannot wait to see the performance difference from the 236 Peanut Port heads.

7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

you did not waste much time.

1980RS likes this.
  8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

461 is in the engine bay now. No I like to get stuff done quickly, harder to do when you get older but I still get the job done. Now if the car would act like it's supposed to that would make me real happy.