Performance shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Max Jarmoluk, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Max Jarmoluk

Max Jarmoluk New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to replace my shocks and want stiffer shocks for a more performance orientated suspension. I've looked at Bilsteins but just want to make sure there isn't anything comparable for a lower price. I was looking at the KYB Gas-a-Just but everyone says they're crap but no one says why, my thinking is maybe they got the KYBs thinking they were a smoother riding shock but they actually aren't. If any of you have any suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

I had KYB on my 77 Z with a pair of one piece fiberglass leaf springs. To me it was an awesome combo, but I've heard nothing but trash talk about both products. That was almost 30 years ago mind you, lots has changed since then.
    I have Bilsteins now and love em. Everyone seems to like them, and to me it's worth a few extra bucks to use something that has many positive reviews.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Never heard anything bad about Bilstein, a lot bad about KYB in their valving setup and how they work on 2nd Gen's. Think KYB is popular with the off road truck guys. I have Koni red's, from Kieth at Custom Works, well pleased with them.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you're into Drag racing check out Calvert racing , they have 9 way adjustable shocks for the rear and 90/10 shocks for the front

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have AC Delco gas cushioned shocks with no issues. Prior to these I had Koni shocks that I bought IN 1983 at Super Shops in AZ, where the rears seized up after 8 yrs.

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

the reason people talk bad about KYB is because they are low-end replacement shock. Their valving is bad, they leak, they ride harsh.

kelvinJ likes this.
  7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Speak on it brother! Mine were harsh and valved poorly for my car. Chatter in corners and not holding the road.
    I would recommend some yellow Bilsteins or red Konis.

8. 7dcamaro

7dcamaro Veteran Member

The Hotchkis 1.5 Street Performance Series shocks get my vote. Have them on my 70 RS with a 454 and Muncie 4 speed and love them.

giggity likes this.
  9. raimond

raimond New Member

Yes, Bilsteins are expensive but they are reliable and will last for several years.

10. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I don't consider Bilsteins to be expensive.

they are Guaranteed for Life to the Original Purchaser