Period correct plates

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by dcozzi, Jul 22, 2019.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I just bought a 1969 AZ plate for my 1970 Camaro. I called the DMV and it is clear to register to my car. It has 1970, 1971 and 1972 registration stickers on it. Perfect for my car.
    Anyone else doing the period correct plate thing? For $30, and a one time $25 fee to put it in my name, I thought it was worth it.

gpm6367 likes this.
  2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have new, unused or registered 1970 Virginia plates on my car.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I have Year of Manufacture plates on the '49 Caddy, the '64 GTO and the '72 Camaro. Still get asked what year the car's are, but I like the vintage plates on a vintage car.

4. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

I was just thinking of doing that to my car but then a google search showed me that the 79 plates are not that much different than what we have now.

5. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's interesting you're allowed to use '69 plates on a '70 car. Here in Virginia, antique or vintage plates can be used, but they 'must' be the same year as the car.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

He isn't really using '69 plates. He states that it has '70, '71, and '72 stickers on the plate. If there are stickers on the plate, that says that no new plate was issued in '70-'72 so only the '69 plate with later stickers would be the correct plate.
    The same thing is done here. A new plate is issued only about once every 10 years. After that, only new stickers are issued to go on the plate.

In North Dakota, this plate would be correct year for a 1970 model car.
    plate.jpg

However, if it had a 1971 sticker on it, the same plate would be correct for a 1971 car, and if it had a 1972 sticker on it, it would be correct for a 1972 car, and so on.

7. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Got it...in Va, early plates, through the '70's at least, still had the year embossed into the plate, so new plates had to be purchased each year. At some point, they changed to the stickers so the same plate could be used from year to year, and only the stickers changed.

These are some '71 plates for my project car....eventually. They can only be used on 1971 model cars. All the letters and numbers are embossed into the plate and can't be changed. Also, odd year plates were white, and even year plates were black in Va until the stickers started. Now they're just white.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

We have correct year plates on all our vehicles that are over 25 years old. Cost is $35 and they never expire as long as you own the car. Hagerty gives a discount for using them.

9. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

I did the same for my 71SS. Bought a pair (California is front/rear plate state) of period correct blue with yellow lettered plates on eBay with a 71 sticker and through the YOM program applied to put them on my car. Took about a month and $45 later they look awesome!

roeville likes this.
  10. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

8F495756-277B-4834-B18F-C0FE213EB8F9.jpeg
    To me it’s the finishing touch. NYS has a vintage plate program. The old blue and golds take me back to my youth.