Photobucket..too little too late

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, May 17, 2018.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
    Photobucket tries to comeback...too little too late. You burned that bridge.
    I deleted all my images and account.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/...cket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photobucket-image-hosting-plans/

"Photobucket on Wednesday also turned back on millions of users’ images that were still linked to around the web.

The move allowed the images to reappear in place instead of the stock speedometer image that had replaced them last summer. Leonard ruefully joked that speedometer might have become the most viewed image in internet history, though one linked to users’ anger with the company."

carr911 and Peck like this.
  2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just checked and sadly this did not fix the image links for M21RSZ28. Those are gone.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    At this point, I don't think many people care what Photobucket does. They made their choices, now live with them.

Chevrolaine and carr911 like this.
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    From the article I'm guessing your images re-appear if you pay the monthly 3rd party hosting fee? I get E-mails from them, don't even read them. Just delete them like they did with my pics.

5. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    I wouldn't go back to them if they paid me...

carr911 likes this.
  6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Going back to them is not on my bucket list.

carr911 likes this.
  7. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    LOL! I was so bitter about it when it happened....that I did nothing. Now my pictures are back on my build page haha. That being said, photobucket can still &*%$ off...

8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Would ya look at that...who you just look at that!
    Worked in my old threads. I'll take it but won't upload any more pics there.

Da-bigguy and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    when they put up the Ransom demand, I deleted my account. F them!

10. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    I started using Pbucket back when they started it and it took like 5 minutes to upload a single pic from a floppy disc on a dial up modum. Everyone acted like it was the greatest thing since toilet paper and it was FREE !!! I knew eventually they'd need to make money off it to pay the bills, the question was how would they do it.

Time went by and I eventually received notice that I'd need to go on one of their paid plans because I'd exceeded the storage limits and bandwidth usage (or some such thing caused by having lots of pics in threads on forums) and as a businessman I understand there's no such thing as a free lunch. So I paid, and did for years. At roughly 40 bucks a year I felt it was a reasonable fee and while others complained about ads and what not slowing down use on their free accounts I always found it quick and easy to use (without ads because I was paying) although I favored the earlier format before the upgrade a few years ago. So anyway, I realized it was pay (heavy users) or view ads (free accounts) they could make revenue on as their business model.

Then they shot themselves in the foot with one of the worst business moves I've ever seen. You don't turn 10's of millions of people into addicts and then shut them off instantly without any warning and expect they will just roll over and pay whatever you want. It's just not a good business move. Meanwhile those of us with paid accounts were allowed to just be grandfathered in while our paid subscriptions ran out.

When the blackout occurred I went scurrying about the web looking at the user agreements and researching the other hosting companies thinking "Screw them, wanna raise my price by 10X? What kinda business move is that?" "I'll switch when my subscription runs out." Meanwhile, the vast majority of the free account users just started jumping to other free services. Guess what, those other companies all have a line in their user agreements that would allow them to do the same thing Pbucket did. AND, there's still no such thing as a free lunch. Someone has to pay somehow to make the other services work. Whether it's selling ad space, selling the pics themselves, selling storage/hosting services or maybe selling information about the users. The computers, software, electricity, maintenance, etc. all needs to be paid for somehow AND since it's a business, there needs to be profit..

Well I didn't do anything, then eventually my paid subscription ran out. 15 years worth of pics posted in threads on many forums went to the stock speedometer pic one day. So I thought about it and decided I'd buck up for a year and give myself more time to decide what I might be able to do to keep all the pics on forums (there are literally thousands). So I paid the 400 and it's been the same service with no ads or other slow downs. Yes, I thought it was a lot to pay, but really that's less than a take out cup of coffee a day. I'd hoped some software guru would come up with a new hosting company where if pics were transferred from Pbucket to the new host they'd remain linked to the new host across the web, and I expected to pay. Just hoped it would be a more reasonable fee than the over a dollar a day fee Pbucket was charging.

So now what happens to people like me? No mention of that in the news blips so far. I just paid last month. Refund? Use my payment for the top tier of their new plan?