Pics of LS motor

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 5spd540, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How true. That's part of the logic behind the L67 swap that I will eventually do. Just to prove it can be done and for the challenge. Just gotta wait for the funds to move forward with the project.

2. CACTUS4TWO

CACTUS4TWO Veteran Member

I have a standard bore 454 BBC in my 1975. It has a mild cam with large oval port 396 heads (iron) with 2.19 intake and 1.88 exh. valves and I use a 600 cfm (don't laugh!) Edelbrock carb. With a 2.73 rear gear plus my TKO-600 I knock down 19mpg on the highway doing about 80mph. I pull around 18 inches of vacuum at idle but I get about 20 inches of vacuum @ 80mph. I have gotten 20mpg a few times but that was above 85 mph(@ 2100 rpm)!! It might be the fact that I have such a small carb on it that vacuum is always really good but than again the cam is done at 5000 rpm so I haven't put a bigger carb on it yet.

I have taken it to the track only a few times, but it does mid 11's on the Hoosier Drag Drag radials I have on it now. It is a torque monster on the street and drinks 89 octane.

Honestly, got the motor for cheap (about $3,200 from a guy that never sold it), I got about $4,800 in the TKO swap, lol!! One thing to remember is to put a good overdrive tranny in it, or else mpg sucks! I only got about 15 mpg with the 454 with the old TH350 AND 2.73's!!

LSX motors are the bomb, but I am a old school guy. One day I will bolt an 8/71 and dual carbs and curse at the pumps one day (just because you need to do those things in life) but for a practical alternative, yes, the LSX would be pretty good motor. Just keep the EFI if you do.

Hmmm, wonder what my motor would do if I had multi-port fuel injection...:smokin:

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is where I guess it's just over my head.
    I thought to feed a BBC you'd need a bigger carb then just a 600cfm, and to
    definitely do 11's with a 2.73 gear and 600cfm is where I'm lost too.

I guess the math of all that together is where I'm lost.

4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Carbs are rated at a certain vacuum. They will flow more than their rating but will begin to pull vacuum above the rating under the throttle blades.

Look at the HP rating on a NASCAR engine sometime and the carb size. :cool:

5. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 496 that has a dyno of 648hp and 586tq so I am going to use this over spending a lot of money on a ls engine then trying to make the hp up later.If I did not have this engine I would go LS without a doubt.

6. 7T3LS1

7T3LS1 Veteran Member

LSXZ28 basically summed up why I wanted to try a LS1 swap. Working on my car after a long day is sort of my therapy and I just wanted to try something different and learn along the way. But whatever anyone else does with their car is cool too. It's all about making your ride whatever you want it to be...EFI or carburated...it's all good!

7. 5spd540

All the work you put into a car is worth every penny as long as you enjoy the car and dont let it sit in the garage.

8. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There isn't any overwhelming reason to change out a freshly built combo to install an LS engine.
    That is why I have said on several occasions that the LS is a good option IF you are doing a complete build and starting from scratch. i.e. you purchased a rolling chassis or project without an engine.

A 496 is a great performing combo. I've built several and if BBC is the way you want to go, it's a hard setup to beat if properly thought out.

However,
    This is the high tech section, and when you asked the question, it did not deserve to be blasted by those who cannot do the swap because they are "challenged".

It's a legitimate question and option.

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

10. 5spd540

You are the first person not to hammer the decsion to put the 496 over the LS.