Pics of LS motor

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 5spd540, Mar 11, 2010.

1. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Shoot, if I had a fresh 496 in my car, I'd be out abusing it regularly. Nothing like a good big block.

Now me, I've got a fresh 355 Vortec head, ZZ4 roller motor in my car that MIGHT have 3 hours run time on it. It's not even broke in yet. I'm having some carb problems with it and I stumbled into this 2004 GTO/6 speed for CHEAP. Having some mad money and looking to see if I can climb into the 21st century, off I go.

2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why would you upgrade a perfectly good Vortec 355, it's a musclecar, it's supposed to have carb problems and belch fumes, get 2 mpg, and otherwise be a hassle to drive? :screwup:

3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just went out and checked the oil, put a gallon of fresh gas in the tank, filled the rad, turned the cut off switch to 'ON', hit the pump toggle, and flashed it up for the first time since....November.

Cranked for less than 10 seconds and had fire. Feathered the peddle for one minute, and its on its own with no choke. The 427 has had its place and time, and was something I've always wanted to accomplish. But you can't stop evolution and the need for a new challenge and goals.

If you have one and want the brute power of a 496, use it. I'm just ready for the 'Been there done that' stage.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If he told you what he got the LS1 engine itself for..........you'd sh**. :crazy:
    He helped me find my T56 after I was talking to him about it. Thanks again JJ.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ace,
    I don't think you caught on there buddy ;)
    Go back and start at the beginning of the topic.

I do LS swaps, I build, sell, and retrofit OD transmissions. I think a musclecar should have muscle AND be fun to drive, even daily.

6. Aceshigh

Yeah I guess I missed the sarcasm.....doh...
    Damn 2 dimensional screens.... LOL

I deleted the brain fart part.....

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Its only gas.

8. Aceshigh

That's what the Sheik of an oil conglomerate is saying as he's pimping his exotic Mercedez made of White Gold around Saudi Arabia.
    I'm not feeding their pocket books anymore......sick of feeding them riches. Look at Dubai.....makes me sick.

I'd rather blow the coin on American made engines then feed those camel jockeys more money.

[​IMG]

9. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree but dont build a engine then complain about gas. build a electric car then you wont need gas.

10. Aceshigh

Depends on your cars purpose. ;) If you're talking about drag racing ?? I agree.
    If you're talking about a weekend cruiser that you want to drive alot, I disagree.

If a BBC is appealing to you, that's cool. My father LOVED them.....he grew up and raced in that era.
    If a Gen III or IV modern EFI engine that flows like a BBC but is alot more efficient is appealing to you, that's cool too. :bowtie:

Just my .02, but I think the Muscle car era was so cool because it's been so long since we've seen engines THAT powerful.
    But that has changed now that these GM Gen III, IV LSx engines have come out. It's a new era of modern muscle. :cool:
    Even FORD has finally jumped into the 21st century FINALLY with their newest Mustang big HP engines.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010