Pip Squeak loads .308

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by jeff swisher, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:23 PM.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have a Ruger .308 that does not shoot tight enough groups for me.
    The chamber is iffy.
    But it may be the perfect candidate for reduced loads with cast bullets.
    I have cut the barrel to 18" and it did shoot tighter groups..But not tight enough.

I have a 32-20 and I made a few bullets for it using the Lee 311-93-1R mold it gave me .311" diameter bullets at 104 gr with soft lead after powder coating them.
    I sized to .309" and loaded some into some neck turned and annealed Federal cases.
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-311-93-1r.html

Yes i neck turned them. I found with cast bullets neck turning really improves the groups.
    And I want to leave nothing on the table for this rifle.

I decided to use red dot powder as it has proven very stable and accurate for me in very reduced loads.

I started with 3.5 gr.
    That was quite loud.. not what i expected.
    Reduced to 3.0 gr. then 2.2 and then 2.0 and then 1.5 gr.

The 1.5 gr load would still pass through 5/8" ply wood. and sink into a mulberry stump to the base of the bullet.
    Still a bit loud.

This should be a real money saver as far as components go. I will stick with 2.0 gr load as that is what the Lee .3cc dipper throws. Keep it simple.

Now after shooting that 2.0gr load I found I do not need to resize my cases.
    The neck ID has not changed from the .306" it started with.
    Case length has not grown even .001" after 6 firings.

Bonus for sure that the case only needs brushed out and wiped down and reload it.
    Here is a 5 shot group at 20 feet..Yea 20 feet in my garage Case was not resized for this group. Powder was dipped with the Lee .3cc dipper not weighed. Super simple.
    I will stretch it's legs to 50 or so as this load is for close in critters. Squirrel in a tree.

002.JPG 001.JPG

2. jeff swisher

I chronographed it and velocity was 664.5 FPS at 10 feet from the muzzle.
    Way sub sonic.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I played around with low velocity loads for one of my rifles just to see if it could be done. It works and ended up being totally worthless for anything I could find so I don't mess with it anymore.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

um...308 for squirrels in a tree?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

While the .308 with low velocity loads would work for squirrels, the .22 rimfire would do it just as well and cheaper.

6. jeff swisher

I shot about 15 squires with my .223 last year. I load for it and can head shoot them at 200 yards.
    .22 is good for sure but not nearly as accurate.
    This .308 with reduced loads will not be as accurate as my .22 rifles either and I did some math .

It would cost me $4.24 to make 100 rounds of this reduced load.
    I paid 22 cents a pound for the last 600+ lbs of lead i got. I have over 1000 lbs of lead and I can snag just so many fishing sinkers.
    I did some shooting today with the reduced load and it groups 2" at 60 yards and at 30 yards the bullets hit in the same area.
    No need to adjust the scope.
    I tried some cast 170gr bullets but they did not group at all with this load.

It is a fun load for breaking clays or popping cans.
    I think the grand kids will have a good time shooting it. Has more thump on steel targets than a .22.

Main reason to do it is this .308 Ruger American will not be wasting real ammo as it is just not accurate at all.
    These 60 yard groups are better than jacketed groups I get at 100 with this rifle.
    Yes it will not shoot 2" groups consistently.
    My other .308 rifles and my 30-06 and .223 will shot under 2" at 200 yards.

So this rifle needed a purpose. I can't sell it with good conscious knowing it is a turd.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Makes sense to make it a purpose built unit then. Seems like what it wants to be.
    I get an image of a squirrel getting thwacked by that bullet and splattered. A close range suppressed firearm would be another use. With proper licensing, of course.;)

8. jeff swisher

I am still waiting for them to remove the tax stamp deal with a suppressor.
    Here in Oklahoma you can legally hunt private and public land with them. And no magazine restrictions on any weapon.

dcozzi likes this.