Plastic fly wheel cover

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by larrylarry, Apr 29, 2018.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Bought one of these for my 700r4. It was a major pain in the ass to trim it so the end of the crankshaft wouldn’t rub on it!!!!! I had to slide in & out from under my 78 at least 12 times before I had it right. I used my Dremmel tool with a metal cut off wheel to trim it. The plastic is to thick to cut with a box cutter. I’d used only 2 hex head screws to hold it up, turn on the engine and let the crankshaft beat on it some an take it out an trim. That half round section needs to be cut about 3 ins. lower & the 2 ribs on each side of the round section need to be cut about 2 ins. lower also plus cutting a section out for the starter. I should of took a pic of it when I was done but didn’t. I was to the point of leaving it off. Maybe this will help some one else. 6780543D-4A90-4E3B-8716-1084AF64A04A.jpeg

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Better yet... When they get hot, they warp a little and it still might rub.

I finally took the one off my 2004R because of that issue.

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Take it off for good. There is no benefit to having one that I've ever found. I been running without it for 20 years or more. All they do is get in the way, imo.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here, haven't used one in (many) years.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Me either, it’s like a lawn mower don’t put your fingers in there! Plus it cooled better, at least in my head