Plugs in block won't budge-need advice please

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by lapedr, Jan 5, 2017.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I am rebuilding my sbc 350 and I am trying to remove the rear oil plugs, the plug above the oil filter, the plug next to the oil pressure sender, and the plug on the front outside of the block and none of them are budging. Has anyone came up with a way to defeat these short of drilling them out?

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Heat is your friend along with PB blaster. soak them good with PB blaster for a day or two then start heating them up and try to work them out slowly

3. udloze

udloze Veteran Member

Mar 30, 2011
    new york
    PB blaster sucks. for really siezed stuff use acetone and transmission fluid 50/50 mix

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    +1 have had good luck with this.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Machinist that did my last block used the old candle trick, works better than any of the spray stuff.

6. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    So whats the old candle trick?

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Heat them up to a dull red then let them cool for a minute or two then they'll come out.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Heat the plug, not real hot, press a candle around the threaded area, wax/paraffin will soak in around threads. Guy swears by this method.

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    The thing that makes penetrating oils less effective here is that pipe plugs are designed so that as they are tightened the tapered threaded plug compresses into the tapered hole eliminating any gaps for the oil to creep thru which is what plugs are supposed to do. Throw a coat of engine enamel on top of that and its even worse.

Heat is your friend. I have used propane for most but resorted to a torch for a little more temp. Heat the block, don't point the flame directly at the plug.

10. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I finally got all of the 1/4" pipe plugs out last night. I had to drill through the pipe plugs for a plug tap, then heat the outer area around the plug, and apply candle wax. It took allot of leverage but each one cracked loose. I even got the plug above the oil filter out. The only one I don't think I am going to mess with is the one under the rear main cap. I just don't see how I can get that out as far down as it is. I can run a 1/8' metal rod through the oil passage that runs from the plug above the oil filter on the outside of the block to below this plug but I don't see how this helps other than to keep it from falling down into the passage once I knock it with a hammer and punch. Are there any tricks to removing this particular plug? Will it hurt to leave it in?