Plumbing a Wilwood proportioning valve

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 93z, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 93z

93z Member

I’ve done a handful of searches on here and only come across a few pics and discussions how you guys are plumbing the new proportioning valve and fittings but I haven’t seen any full pics of it installed and plumbed up. I think I’ve got it figured out what I’m going to do but I also feel it’s overly complex and unnecessary so I was hoping to get some insight. Since the valve has 3/8” ports and my right stuff detailing rear brake line has a 9/16” fitting I was thinking of running a 3/8” male 7/16” female adapter into the valve. From that I was going to run a 1/4” tube with a 7/16” fitting on the valve side and a 9/16” fitting on the other end using a 9/16”-9/16” union to connect this line to the rear brake line. I feel like this adds a lot of potential leaks though to the system. Anyone willing to share pics of their full system and what fittings you used? Thanks!

DD853617-7B95-4A43-B465-26057E4FAE2C.jpeg

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

I've got the same valve and came up with two options:

3/8" male - 7/16" female adapter on the valve and change the tube nut on the rear hard line to 7/16"
    or
    replace the rear hard line with 3/16" tube, use the 3/8" tube nut wilwood supply at the valve end and replace the rear flex line with a nice braided one from Russells (can also change the tee fitting if necessary)

I ended up going with the latter because I have a 9" swap planned and there seems to be more fitting options available for 3/16" tube.

93z likes this.
  3. 93z

93z Member

Option 1 is kinda what I was thinking would be best. I’m hesitant because my glaring skills are subpar... but if that rear brake line is close enough to the prop valve I will probably give it a shot. Thanks!

4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Ha I know what you mean, I’ve screwed up more than a few freshly bent hard lines with cheap flaring tools. Last time I made up a set of new lines I just took them to a local hydraulics and gave them $20 to do the flaring for me but I really should get a decent flaring set and give another go

93z likes this.
  5. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

IMG_1922.JPG

Well I never would advise this, but I didn't want to run a whole new rear brake line until I changed the rear drums out. Here's a pic of my setup. It doesn't leak

6. 93z

93z Member

If I can’t get good at flares mine will probably look like this lol I actually contacted Wilwood and their suggestion was to run a 3/16” hard line all the way back.

7. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Same advice they gave me. I can't believe no one makes an adapter for this, I looked high and low.

93z likes this.
  8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I went to AutoZone and found some adapters on the spinning Doorman rack with all the body clips etc.
    Mine is separate from the master and is under the driver's door attached to a plate I welded in with bolts and nylock nuts.
    I could not get adapters from Wilwood. I called them and asked.
    I suspect the prop valve does not allow you to reverse bleed the brakes. Mine would not no matter what % I set it at.
    I bought a good flaring tool on Amazon because the flares the simple clamp tool was making were crooked and a PITA to use.
    20190114_183549.jpg

93z and dave@ztech like this.
  9. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

93z likes this.
  10. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Fitting needs to be female on both ends or you'll still need a coupler like my cluster shown above. It works, but it looks like it belongs on a still more than a Camaro.