Plumbing Questions

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll try to be short and to the point. I replaced my water softener over the weekend. I screwed up and didn't bleed the lines after the work. When my son went to take a shower the water was fine, sputtered and quit flowing. I went back and bled the lines and the nearest (to the softener) faucet and furthest. I ran the furthest shower for about 10 minutes. We have ha a bunch of shower, toilets flushed etc over the next few days with no problem, except the shower my son had issues with.

The one we have problems on is the closest to the softener and water heater. It runs fine for a while, slows down and stops. If he cycles it off and then on it works again. It's one of the types that you have to pull the plunger at the tub spout to divert the water to the shower head.

Any ideas what I should look for? I've run a bunch of water out of the tub spout looking to see a air pocket without seeing anything or improving the issue.

2. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Take the shower head off and see if the water runs any better. It may have dumped a ton of sediment in the head and it's clogged.

3. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Does it always run good out the tub spout? If so, then i would be looking for weirdness at the shower head, or somewhere in between like Batman suggested.

4. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Clogged shower head, also remove the strainers on all the faucets, probably find some sediment in some of them

5. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

I'm with them. If always good flow out spout & not at showerhead, check head.
    Careful not to disturb shower arm (screws into wall). Hold it while u take off head.
    Run water with the head off. If ok, clear head. Maybe take water saver out for better shower.

6. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Daves right, probably in the aerators also.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Well, I'm a stupid sonofa...... I hooked the valve on the softener up backward. I took the shower head off like you guys suggested and after running a bit it blew out a bunch of orange (what I found out later to be softener resin) crap into the tub. I've been flushing resin out and cleaning up the mess for the last three hours. It looks like the front bath took the damage. No signs of resin in the rest of the house. Some in the water heater but not a lot. Thank God my wife didn't run the washer since I installed the softener. I'm trying to decide if I run a little short of resin for a while or order enough to start over. :(

Internet search says I'm not the first moron to do this.

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Dave, look at the bright side.....at least you didn't have to pay a plumber.

9. Knuckle Dragger

I was due for a bone head mistake I guess. Sad part is I checked and marked the pipes, it had to be obvious as hell when I did the install. I noticed it right away when I went out to check a filter after everything poured into the tub.

With luck my only causality is the shower head in that bathroom. I didn't find anything in any of the screens outside that bathroom.

10. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not throwing any stones, for certian. I am glad to see I'm not the only one who makes mistakes like this from time to time though.
    It's not too often, but I know the feeling as well. I guess it was just your turn.