posi rear end knock when making hard left turns

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by stewartlong, Mar 24, 2019.

1. stewartlong

stewartlong New Member

I have just finished a frame-off restoration to a 1965 GTO that I had a Z-28 Camaro 12-bolt; 3:36:1 4-spring posi that I got out of a junk yard totally rebuilt and then installed.

What I am noticing when I make hard left turns (and some right hand turns) there is a knock and shuttering feel go through the car almost like I hearing the wheels can't make up their mind what to do?

Is this a normal thing for 12-bolt; 3:36:1; 4- spring posi rear ends that are bolted up to a TH400 3-SPEED transmission with a shift kit.

Do I have something going wrong or is this natural when making a hard 90-degree turn into a parking lot/

Thanks.

2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Did you put the GM additive in it?

3. stewartlong

stewartlong New Member

When the rear was rebuilt I was there and the good "gorilla snot" was added and then good rear oil but I did not know about any other additive to take care of this turning issue.

Do you have a brand name or item# or description that I can give the Chevy dealership parts counter guy so I don't look stupid trying to explain all of this?

Thanks for your reply.

4. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

I bought some from o'riley and it worked like a charm. Mine was doing the same thing.

5. gas and guns

gas and guns New Member

Limited slip friction modifier

6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

How did you get a Camaro rear end in a GTO? The rear suspension is completely different and the Camaro rear end doesn't have the mounts for the upper controll arms.

The GM limited slip oil additive will probably take care of the problem when turning. You will have to give it a little time to start working.

7. stewartlong

stewartlong New Member

Thanks everyone for your help and I have ordered in one bottle of that friction modifier LIMITED SLIP POSI DIFFERENTIAL GEAR OIL additive plus one of those little hand pumps.

For DBS: "Did you use just one bottle of the stuff to fix the problem or 2?"

Again thanks to all I'll let you know how this turns out.

Stew

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Had the same problem with my 70 with a factory posi setup. I had changed the lube and put in some aftermarket additive. Was ok when cold but jumped some hot. Drained and refilled with new lube and a single bottle of the real GM additive, been quiet since. Good thing is for that to jump like that you know the clutches are working as they should and not overly worn, I think.

mallard likes this.
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

clutch BITE!!! like getting kicked in the ass sideways while turning....add gm additive then go do some figure 8's......with traction!!! that will work it in...should only take a couple times before it is smooth.

berg2695 likes this.