Post up your "big wheeled" cars...AKA...17's or larger AND ADD YOUR BACKSPACING INFO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CarNDrvr, Mar 9, 2009.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

oh - ya not at all what I'm looking for. I am building a pro-touring style car so I want a matching set of modern summer max performance tires.

2. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

Found a set of four 17x8s with 5.5 inch backspacing American Racing Daytona wheels and I am wondering if they will work on a 1974 Camaro with 2 inch lowering springs up front and an otherwise stock suspension set up. I appreciate the help!

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They should. You may need a 1/4" spacer up front. Full disclosure...I have not fit those wheels. My opinion is based on a lot of research.

A 5.5" backspace seems to be the most you can go without the risk of running into clearance issues. For the rear, if your diff is not centered you might need a spacer on one side or the other. Most people can fit a 9.5" wheel and 275 with little or no mods. Since you are running an 8" wheel you should be good. A 255 would probably be the right tire. I think the rim might be too narrow for a 275 to fit properly but you will have to look that up.

Some people seem to have no problem with an 8" wheel and 5.5" BS up front. Rubbing on the sway bar seems to be the biggest issue. Like I said above, you can always add a spacer .you may be able to get a 255 up front, but 245 is a safe bet.

Others will have a different opinion. Just be cautious, when someone tells you they fit a bigger set up on, or any set up, make sure you find out ALL the mods they made to get it to fit...brakes, springs, rear end, tubs, etc. etc.

Good luck...

aggcamaro74 likes this.
  4. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

Thank you for the run down I really appreciate it. The price is almost too good to pass up so I just want to make sure it is worth the purchase and possible required work arounds.

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't go only by my recommendation! You might want others to weigh in and do some measurements.

I have added to my signature a link for the wheel Fitment tool I bought as it keeps coming up .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  6. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

Even better. Thanks again 8pack!

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And before you buy 17 inch rims, look at the limited choices in tires, and getting less to choose from each year, you might want to look for 18 inch rims, just my .02

8. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I haven't had any issues getting great tires in 17"

9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

This is gonna be my next ride.... LMAO!!!! 11637.jpg

10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

17s are available. But very true they are more limited. Especially if you deviate from the common 245/275 split