Pre LS Swap Issues to Consider

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jagged30a, Jan 18, 2020.

1. jagged30a

jagged30a Veteran Member

I'm paying someone to do a basic swap in my 79 Camaro. Assuming the car runs and shifts fine, what common issues need to be solved? I know i will lose my factory gauges. Anything else?

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Which car runs and shifts fine? And what does a basic swap entail?

You don’t necessarily lose your gauGes. Most auxiliary gauges will work with no change or a sender change. The speedo in the ‘79 is likely cable driven, what trans are you swapping to? Biggest is probably the tach

3. jagged30a

jagged30a Veteran Member

I meant if the car runs fine after the swap. It will get 5.3 / 4l60 from an 06 Tahoe. Rewired engine harness. Driveshaft cut. Electric fuel pump. Base computer tune.

Ok that’s better than I thought. Speedo is cable driven. I have questions about other systems like cooling, power steering, heat etc.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I hope the person who is doing your swap knows that they are doing and has done it before. There is so much to consider....are you paying for just the swap or all that’s involved? Off the bat, you need more than just an electric fuel pump for the fuel system. Making all the gauges work also is something to work on.

5. jagged30a

jagged30a Veteran Member

I saw a couple cars he did. Old Impala with twin turbos and an older Cadillac CTS. Impala sounded good. Needed a little tuning. He’s doing a Range Rover now. He’s also done repair work for some of our other vehicles I wasn’t willing or able to do. Never had a major issue.

I’m paying for the swap. He says it will be driveable when I get it. I can use an OBD Bluetooth adapter and a tablet for guages until those are sorted. Hoping I can do most of the remaining work myself. Im patient and willing to learn. I just don’t have the space, some of the tools, or motivation to replace the drivetrain.

I searched the site but haven’t found an LS swap checklist or things to do yet. Will search the net too.

Honestly I have some anxiety about starting over. The car runs great and I know it well. Simple. But it’s a pain to drive on highways with the 3 speed trans and I want FI.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  6. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Replacing the drivetrain was the easy part. Fitting everything else was time consuming.
    think of it in systems: fuel, heat/air, etc, then search away. At that point it’s only limited by your budget and time. Found the majority of info here.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

its all about BUDGET!
    an OD tranny and bolt on fuel injection is like 2 weekends....all bolt in/on....
    Going LS is a bit more than a bolt in.....more like a transformation!

8. jagged30a

jagged30a Veteran Member

Next month I was going to have a new 2004r installed for about $3k. End of this season FI was planned for $1400. Or better heads for $1200. Plus my time to install. Assuming I did all three, for the same money I can do the LS swap and have a turbo option later. It’s not new stuff but more modern. I favor LS.

My car is basically stock with a small cam and little stall converter. It’s fun but has limits. I want a fun cruiser / tourer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  9. jagged30a

jagged30a Veteran Member

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

cool stuff..... will have to decide once the PONCHO power is torn down....but good info there