Prepping underneath back to bare metal - how did you do it?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by kiwi79, Jun 8, 2019.

1. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

Hi all,

A couple of questions to those who have done this before. The car is on a rotisserie, have used a vacuum sand blaster to get the flat parts, but coming to a halt on the trickier bits. I'm going to Raptor the underneath. What was the best option for those that didn't take it away to media blast the underneath? I have been using wire wheels on a grinder and a drill, but it's slow and not always getting into nooks and crannies. I tried a spot sand blaster, but it's very average. Any suggestions, or is it just a matter of persevering with wire wheels etc? As a matter of interest, how long did it take you to clean it back to bare metal?

Second question - installing subfame connectors. Is it best to do these on the rotisserie?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

why not get it blasted? They'll be able to get it cleaner than you ever will doing it manually and in a decent coat of epoxy. My 77 is also on a rotisserie and heading to Autoblast on Monday so I can send some pics and details if you're interested.

Better to do weld in subframe connectors with the car on the ground (under it's own weight) and levelled. I made a set similar to the DSE ones out of RHS, got everything aligned and welded in from the top, then finish welded the underside when it was on the rotisserie.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

Thanks for the reply Scott. I had thought about trying to get it to a sandblaster, sadly my friend with a car trailer sold it, so getting it there was going to be an issue. Not sure who in Wellington would be any good at it either. Are you just getting the underneath blasted, or all of it? The pics are of the stage I am currently at. It's the smaller shot that I am struggling with, getting into those sorts of areas.

Definitely keen on more pics and details on yours though.

Cheers
    Andrew

Attached Files:

4. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

totally agree ,make sure your front subframe is dialed in and square .you definatly want to have good epoxy prime in areas you will not be able to get to i actually had bottom done and sub assembled and aligned up before installing connectors

Attached Files:

5. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I am just not too sure how to work out the process - spray Raptor on the underneath, then attached subframe, and then connectors? My worry was how to weld on after applying Raptor.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

I'm getting the whole thing done, inside and out.

Looks like you've made a really good start. If it were me I'd hose some epiphos on the bare metal and do all the metal work on the shell while it's on the rotisserie. Though it looks like yours is pretty solid? Once that's done drop it onto axle stands, get it level in all directions, bolt up the subframe and get that squared up using the factory chassis diagrams as a guide. Fit your subframe connectors, applying weld through primer to the mating surfaces and weld them in anywhere you can access and lay down a nice bead (what type of connectors?) Then put the whole shebang back on the rotisserie (bolting to the subframe where the bumper brackets normally attach works well) and if necessary finish weld / clean up the subframe connectors on the underside, before sending it off to the media blasters and getting it back in epoxy.

If you get the timing right you should be able to apply the raptor straight over the epoxy with no scuffing or sanding, just check the data sheets for the recoat window.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

I am starting to think that media blasting might be the best bet. It's beginning to drag out a bit, this prep work. Been looking at options in Wellington, seems to be two. https://www.steamsand.co.nz/vehicle-servicing and http://plateausandandsodablasting.co.nz/services/ There is also an immersion stripper http://www.metalimmersions.co.nz/IS.html Car appears to be in very good condition, been in NZ since early 80's, no rust that I could find so far. Subframe connectors came from Pro-touring FBody. I have been buying suspension parts over the past year or so, and would really like to start getting back to reassembly, so farming the stripping out is having a lot more appeal since you put the idea out there...

Are you transporting the shell while it is on the rotisserie? That is my biggest concern at the moment...

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are there no Dustless blasting rigs down there? Here they have guys that come to you, do the blasting and done , no having to move stuff around.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

I haven't seen any locally. Part of the issue is the proximity to my neighbour, and where they park there vehicles - far too close for my liking. Last thing I want is to have to pay for a new paint job on their cars...

10. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Yes tow truck picked it up this morning and I’ll be getting it back on Friday.

In terms of finding a good blaster in Wellington have you tried asking some of the local car clubs and resto shops?