Pressure sand blasters

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

This fall I am going to be taking my car down to metal to prep for paint. The underside and the engine bay are already done, so I don't want to ship the shell out for stripping.

I plan to mechanically strip the exterior using sanding disks in a dewalt rotary buffer/sander, and stripping disks for tighter spots but this won't work well in really tight corners and not the best for spot rust.

I've used siphon blasters with poor results in the past. Anybody use a pressure blaster at home? I have a 60 gallon rand compressor with moisture controls. Was looking at one of the harbor freight offerings. The idea would be to strip the exterior and jams as best as I could mechanically and resort to the blasting as a "last resort".

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've used the HF one with pretty good success. It takes a bunch of air. As long as you have a good place to do it where the dust won't upset the neighbors it should work fine. Use at least a 3/8 line to it with the Milton high flow adapters. Wear over-the-ear ear muffs to keep the sand out of your ears. That stuff goes everywhere! I used a steel throttle valve as the brass one wore through pretty quick. Look on CL for a used one. I got mine for 20 when the guy found out he didn't have enough compressor and then just farmed it out. Be real careful around rusted parts as it will blow holes through it pretty quick. The black diamond cola slag cuts fast. Don't use it over any grass you want to keep. It gets in the soil and will kill it.

hubedobeedo and BillyDean7173 like this.
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll second the Harbor Freight one, same exact one on Eastwood is over $200, about $129 at HF. I used Ace hardware medium grit sand, to get the big nozzle clogging chunks out I ran it through a piece of window screen on a piece of plywood with a circular cutout, big enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket. It pretty much poured through, would have to stop every once in a while and throw the chunks to the side. The blaster worked great, did a lot of parts with it. Buy some extra ceramic nozzles and a good N95 NIOSh dust particle mask (good for silica). I'd come home from driving a concrete mixer, lay under my car in the uniform and blast away, strip out of my uniform and jump in the pool, that stuff gets everywhere> I found if I cleaned the driveway first I could sweep up the used sand twice and it still worked good. But I usually did that with stuff that didn't need heavy blasting. When using the nozzle end open it fully, do not throttle it or you'll ruin the ball valve...I know! https://www.harborfreight.com/110-lbs-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-69724.html My compressor, just a 30 gallon horizontal needed some rest between blasting but it did a good job, most of the time it needed to catch up I was ready for a little break. I didn't have a lot of problems with dust blowing around, of course my neighbors wouldn't notice it on their cars anyway. Dust mask: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Approved-Respirator-Breathing-Protection/dp/B0028J4SJ0

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I have the older version of this BRUT pressure blaster - not cheap but VERY heavy duty

I've been through MANY deadman valve stops so I just make my own

used with an 80 gallon 19 cfm Ingersoll Rand compressor using black diamond slag from Tractor Supply

this will annihilate anything on metal...and the metal itself if I'm not careful
    713YD7SE0CL.gif

Sam's Z and hubedobeedo like this.
  5. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

got a brut also made in USA i love it used the heck out of it on mine

351maverick likes this.
  6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Perhaps a large tarp on the driveway before I roll the car out onto it to clean up and reuse the sand?

7. kiwi79

kiwi79 New Member

I have used a vacuum sand blaster in my garage with good results. This type of thing https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Abrasive-Sandblaster-Vacuum-Generic/dp/B001D3LT7Q I haven't used a normal sandblaster so can't compare, but this blasts well, and there is minimal sand lost, unless you don't have the brush around the tip firmly seated on the panel etc. Worked well on the underneath of my car. I don't have anywhere outside to use a normal blaster, so this was the next best option.