Procar Rally Seats

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by vintagecarenthusiast, Aug 7, 2018.

1. vintagecarenthusiast

vintagecarenthusiast New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I went with a set of procar rally seats for my '71 camaro. These seats are sitting way too high. I bought mine from Jegs. Has anyone had luck returning these or should I just be trying to modify the bracket? I think the installer trashed the boxes for the seats.... I had called procar before I bought them and they said that they would sit factory height. I had read on the forum where people it had issues before so I brought that up and their representative there had said they had corrected the height issues on them. I'm not especially tall but I feel like I'm sitting ridiculously high with these seats. What is the best alternative to these? I don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money on aftermarket seats but I don't want to spend "recaro money" on a set of seats. During my restoration my mechanic told me that my factory seats were trashed or at least not right for what I'm looking to do. They look to be original seats but for some reason they did not have original/correct brackets and one of the seat frames was significantly bent and one of the seats needed to be recovered. Additionally, I really wanted to have the adjustability options of aftermarket seats. The second issue with the Procar seats is that the regular seat, not xl, is super skinny. I do think that the pro car rally seats look good in my Camaro and they have a nice feel to them but everything else on them has been disappointing…

2. vintagecarenthusiast

Sep 26, 2017
    By best alternative I meant aftermarket seats with adjustability. I'm not really looking to do a lot of or any modification. I had like the vertical pattern on the Procar Rally's but I don't really care. Does anyone on here have Corbeau LG1's? I saw an article about them in a second generation Camaro. I think they look great with the harnesses but I just put Morris 3 point seatbelts in my car so I would be sticking with the 3 point seat belts.

3. fbodyman

fbodyman New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    midwest
    i have these procar seats in a 72 firebird, the procar brackets make the seat sit way too high IMO. if you dont want to return them & are happy with the seat, you can use the factory seat tracks & they will sit like stock. i made 2 brackets out of flat steel to bolt directly to the seat where their brackets bolt, then just drill new holes in the steel where the stock seat tracks bolt. bolt everything down & the seat will sit right & slides just like a stock seat. plus the procar brackets are expensive, this is a quick & easy fix thats worked out great for me.

vintagecarenthusiast likes this.
  4. vintagecarenthusiast

Sep 26, 2017
    Thank you fbodyman! That was the information that I was looking for. I'm going to pass your response along to my guy that I have doing my work and see if I can get him to do that. Unfortunately, my stock brackets did not come with my car so if stay on this route I will have to buy stock brackets but I don't really care as long as my head's not hitting the ceiling. So it is the bracket and not the seat cushion that is making it to tall. Did you go with the XL's or the standard? I went with the standard and they seem pretty tight.

5. vintagecarenthusiast

Sep 26, 2017
    I called Corbeau about LG1's because I'm also considering returning the Procar Rally's. Can anyone give me feedback on the LG1's? When I called they said the base height (i think they meant the seat cushion) was 3.5" and the bracket was 2.5" for a total of 6" from the floor.

6. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Wyoming
    I went with the xl's and procar rail kits for my 81. Had a chance at SEMA to sit in and measure both the standard and xls. xl's are actually the same width as the factory seats were in my case. Plus they just fit me better and I'm a 6' 165 lb guy. Not sure who the skinny seat is sized for. I think I'm up a little higher with the new setup but otherwise love the seats.

7. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

May 14, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I used seat brackets from a company called Wedge. They are pricey but allow the seat to sit lower than the stock Procar brackets. I have the Procar Rally seats as well.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ