Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been working on the interior stuff over the past week. I've cleaned up the dash brackets and shot a coat of paint on them and got them bolted in to make sure everything clears. I've also started mounting up my pedals and getting the brake and clutch pushrods installed and adjusted. From the pics below, you can see I had to make a slight modification to the brake pedal to make sure the rod was straight. The hydroboost system is at a slightly different angle so the rod didn't travel straight.

Here you can see the rod is attached to the factory pin and is at a downward angle and would actually hit the adjustable rod when pressing the pedal...

[​IMG]

Here you can see the rod is using the upper hold in the pedal and is angled too far upward...

[​IMG]

After drilling a hole in between the two, I now have proper alignment...

[​IMG]

2. 1981LT1

Here's a pic of the pedal assembly fully aligned and hopefully installed for good...

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.
  3. 1981LT1

And now the fun begins. Wiring!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 1981LT1

Anybody know who restores the bulkhead connector on cars? After 30+ years, the lettering is pretty much gone for my circuits... And before anybody asks, I am really not interested in replacing the whole harness. Aside from the couple of butt connectors, it's in really good condition and just needs some cleaning up.

[​IMG]

5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Maybe you can get the fuse box housing from American Auto Wire and transfer all your wires and terminals to one of their housings?

6. 1981LT1

Not much to report. I've been wiring the A/C system and I just ordered a bunch of materials that should be here tomorrow. I was able to modify the FiTech harness to fit my engine better so that was a huge load off of mind. Once I get my stuff delivered i'll get the Vintage Air done and then move on to the headlight harness. I plan on adding relays for the headlights and a junction block to minimize the amount of long battery wires.

7. 1981LT1

Sorry it's been so long folks. This weather is killing me! It was 93 yesterday and today the high was 46 and raining all day! All of the progress I have been making isn't something that can be captured in a photo. I am still working on wiring and getting things cleaned up. I have pretty much gotten my power distribution done and I am now working on adding the headlight relays. I had to order a couple more distribution blocks for the relays so I'm hoping to get the headlight harness done by the weekend. I snapped a pick of the battery cable and all of the power leads for the EFI, alternator, and interior fuse panel. As you can imagine, there are so many wires that need power, hooking everything up to the back of the started wasn't an option, and I absolutely did not want to drill into my firewall so I mounted the distro block on the frame rail. Once everything is done, I'll wrap the wires and get everything clean, but this should show you how everything is ran.

[​IMG]

Bob Lane likes this.
  8. 1981LT1

Just to give a bit of an explanation, since I didn't want the back of the alternator or the starter piled up with wires, I ran the battery cable straight from the trunk to the starter. Then heavy gauge red wire goes from the back of the alternator to the starter as the charging wire. The only other wire from the starter is the heavy gauge wire coming from the metal tube that feeds the distribution block for the other power circuits. I think when everything is done, I'll look at making some sort of cover that conceals everything and keeps tools and other stuff from contacting the terminals.

9. Bob Lane

Bob Lane New Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those headers look great in there. Be interesting to see how they blue or turn. I had some on my Top/Sportsman alcohol drag racing car. They were stainless also.

10. 1981LT1

They will blue a little bit. A friend of mine has the same brand of headers on his LS powered Chevelle and they turned blue around the flanges. Pretty much just like motorcycle headers do. I may powdercoat them after driving the car if I don't like the way they look. We'll see.