Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One of the few things I have put off until now is the trim clips for the glass. The new quarter panel didn't come with the studs so I have to find a way to attache the clips. I saw on tv several years ago some small sealant coated self tapping screws but I can't find them online. Does anybody know what I can use? Sure this is not a new thing and somebody has figured this out before.

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Belden Speed & Engineering sells screw-in and rivet-in trim studs (scroll to the price list at the bottom). I recall finding screw-ins on Amazon too. Don't recall seeing them pre-loaded with sealant anywhere.

Check out my build thread for how I adapted my HF stud welder to weld on trim studs.

3. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i also bought some from Classic or another vendor. they were screw in studs for a 67-69 camaro. The only issue with mine was, the studs were too long and the back glass wouldn't go in. it was only off by 1/16" to 1/8". I ended up pop riveting them in.

BTW, i still have the screw in studs.

4. 1981LT1

The weather has been cooperating and now that the holidays are over, I have been able to work on the rear bumper. I spent a couple of hours sanding down to the urethane and then realized I didn't have any adhesion promoter for the paint. After a trip to the paint store, and a quart of DuPont 2K Urethane primer, I was ready to finish the job. Here is the 600 grit wet sanded result ready to paint. I have already dusted over the bare urethane so the paint covers easier. It will be red tomorrow after work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1981LT1

I cleaned out my storage unit over this past week and I have decided to sell some parts I know I won't need any more. Check out my listing here.

6. 1981LT1

I was able to repaint my intake when I painted my rear bumper. I also got my fender braces painted as well. I don't have any pics of the rear bumper yet but it is installed and looks amazing. I switched from a 1.3mm fluid tip to a 1.5mm and everything is flowing much better out of my gun now. I really wish I would have done that a long time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1981LT1

I also had a friend bend me up some scrap aluminum to cover my wire junction on the frame rail.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice progress, looks so clean!

9. 1981LT1

I've had plenty of opportunities to take pictures of the rear bumper installed but I keep forgetting (but you can see it in the background of the picture below). I have however been able to get the front bumper 99% sanded. I still need to get inside the headlight buckets and the grill areas by hand but that shouldn't be too hard. I have also removed the master cylinder and hydroboost unit and they have been primed with etching primer. Once I prime the front bumper I'll get those in primer as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's starting to really come together, looks great!!