Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My alignment specs are set to factory settings (except for the toe being out of whack right now). I am using the stock camaro brake hubs that I modified for the corvette brakes. I am assuming that is why you were using the spacers, because the wheels wouldn't clear the hub and you needed to space them out a bit? I don't mind the center cap not fitting since I can fix that down road. My concern is the wheels are just too close the fender lip. Does the Kore3 setup use a different spindle too? I'm only using their caliper bracket adapter so everything I have is the stock camaro measurements.

2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Stock spindle. I used 12mm spacers because I was trying to get under 5.75" effective backspace. I only realized the clearance issue after install.

3. 1981LT1

So do you have the same issue with fender well clearance or just the spindle?

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

5. 1981LT1

I got a couple things done this weekend since the weather was cooperating. I got my passenger fender well repainted and I finished painting my intake tube. I found my P/S reservoir was leaking after I added my second return line so I took that back apart and sealed it up. It's been two days and no leaking so I think it's done.

[​IMG]

6. 1981LT1

For those of you that have been following my posts, you know I had to take my brand new TMI seats to an upholsterer to have a strap added to hold my seatbelts. I am pretty stoked how they turned out.

[​IMG]

roadrace2 and dave@ztech like this.
  7. 1981LT1

I was able to "modify" my wheels slightly to get them to fit over my hub. I'm still not sure it solves my clearance problem with the fender well but only time will tell. If you look close enough at the pictures, you'll be able to how much material I removed.

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

8. 1981LT1

And here is the type of quality you get with aftermarket parts. Unfortunately, my originals are not useable so I had to order new ones. I am pretty sure I won't be able to drill a new hole in the body to make up for the difference. Now I get to figure out how to fix it or send it back and hope a replacement is better.

[​IMG]

9. 1981LT1

It's been a seriously long time since I've posted a status update. This past month has been crazy. I went to SEMA and was supposed to get the car tuned on the 11th of November but I quickly realized even though the car starts and "drives", it isn't street legal and wasn't insured and I hadn't even driven it around the block so I had no idea how the car the handle moving on it's own power. Due to all of these reasons I had to cancel my tuning session. My wife had surgery on the 14th and then contracted pneumonia 2 days later which resulted in a 3 day hospital stay. Obviously this meant the car was on the way back burner. Now that Thanksgiving is over I have had some time to get back on the car and I actually drove the car around the block this past weekend. I learned my brakes suck, my clutch is way too stiff, and I have a suspension knock under hard acceleration. After some troubleshooting and several rounds of brake bleeding I ended up replacing my brand new and painted master cylinder. Which seriously pisses me off!!! I haven't installed it yet but it is bench bled and I shot some flat black on it and it's sitting in my vice waiting to be installed. I'm gonna wait until the car is tuned to figure out what I'm going to do about my clutch situation. It's a Monster Level 3 so there is some serious gripping power which means it's either fully on or off. This thing has no forgiveness! I have a strong suspicion I will be installing a less grippy clutch since this is not going to be a race car. I don't mind swapping a clutch every couple of years if it means the car will be more driveable.

As of last week the car is now insured and I am hoping to get it registered tomorrow after lunch. I also ordered my door panels from TMI last week so those should be here in a couple of weeks. Thankfully I don't need those to get it tuned so as soon as I get the brake situation figured out I can reschedule my dyno session.

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the wife, glad she is OK, now, and that sucks about the MC