Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I picked up a really well built 1971 Camaro last week and I'm excited to start the build to bring it closer to my vision.

The theme of the car is going to be vintage looks, modern suspension, brakes, transmission and vintage hot rod SBC motor with good street and track manners. The car is going to be mainly a street car, but as a former long time autoxer turned HPDE junkie turned NASA race series participant in CMC, the car has to handle well and be at least capable of the occasional autox or tame track day session.

I've been hot rodding cars for 35+ years, and built a few from ground up including a road race 1991 Corvette. F-body wise this is my 6th one.
    Had a '89 Iroc 5.0/5-speed that ended up with a super-ram solid roller 355 and TKO
    Race car 83 for CMC class
    68 show car with 383
    69 Pro-touring build with EFI LT1, TH700R4, Front subframe chassis w/ R&P, C5 components
    2016 Convertible SS T56 - currently own

I am debating if I will keep the 2016 long term - my plan would be to drive this one about as often as I drive that one, which for the past 2 years has been 5K miles a year. We'll see how I do once I get through the initial phase of my build plans.

71 currently has a 406 that makes 500hp/500tq and a manual TH350 with 3200 stall. Hotchkis suspension. 4wheel disc. 10 bolt with Eaton posi and Moser axles.

Initial focus is T56 Magnum install plus some odds and ends like power steering, power brakes, and some slight tweaks to the motor and exhaust.

Next phase will focus on the suspension - looking at the DSI quadralink and add coil overs and tubular A-arms to the front

Final phase is a bit fuzzy - potentially additional power, upgrade wheels, convert to EFI, track oriented mods like baffled fuel tank - depends how the car is working and where I want to use it at that point.

It was featured in CHP in April 2010 with the story title Old Soul, so I figure keep that name for this build thread.

A few initial pics below. Updates should start this weekend with the exhaust system - I will post as that progresses.
    Currently has a cobbled up mostly 2.5" system with 2.25" collector reducers and 2.25" flowmaster 40 series muffles which are very loud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goodwrench1965 and 71RSLS like this.
  2. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Looks like a nice car to start with.

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Thanks - yes, I wanted something pretty well ready to go on the paint and body and ideally interior. This car had even more than that going for it with the motor and chassis work. Even little things like a nice big AL radiator with twin electric fans and oil cooler are done right on this car. Couldn't pass it up!

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That car looks beautiful as is! Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for her.

5. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Agree- nice looking car. Good find.
    Welcome.

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Thanks guys!!

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Drove the car several times during the first week to get a feel for it - logged maybe 80 miles.
    Overall no issues with the car - drives great, handles and rides good, brakes would be better with power assist but they work well. Biggest items to address initially are adding power steering, making it quieter, and then cleaning up the idle a tad with a more modern camshaft that will also work better with a T56 vs. a 3200 stall TH350. Then I can get to the T56 swap.

One week from picking it up I have the exhaust system update moving along.

Current exhaust is custom bent 2.5" with 2.25" flowmaster 40 series mufflers - also the reducer from the 3" header is 2.25" expanded to 2.5" tubing, so almost seems the car originally had a 2.25" system.

Using the Pypes X-pipe system with Pypes header collector reducers - all stainless and mandrel bent 2.5".
    Mufflers are MagnaFlow and then using a 12" turn-down to get it just past the rear axle.
    For now can't go over the axle because shocks were moved inboard of the springs for tire clearance, and there is fuel line routing for the electric fuel pump and Nitrous plumbing. Oh - forgot to mention the car has Nitrous, although not sure I would ever use that.

So far I've mocked up the front portion of the system - need to make the cuts for the muffler placement and get those hung. I am waiting on the front Pypes part - ordered that late in the process, should here early this week.
    So goal to get it back on the road by next weekend sounding a bit more civilized.

I fired it up with just the front X pipe portion (using the original exhaust collector connections for initial mock up) and it sounds pretty bad-ass with no mufflers. Not all that much louder than the flowmasters btw - just a bit more rasp to it.

Ok - to the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

Your going to like that new exhaust system. VERY nice looking car!
    if your going to hit the nitrous button, MAKE SURE it is set up correctly! I have replaced more engines from "idiot" installed nitrous systems than any other reason. I used to have a "wall of shame" where I hung melted pistons... You would be AMAZED at how many people would LISTEN, AGREE, and then do it their way and destroy their engines.

c120cut likes this.
  9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I’ve never used it so I don’t know
    The right way! But I have resources that have if I get the itch. Seems installed properly and set up for a 100-150 shot.

And thanks! I can’t wait to get this exhaust done so I can hear it and drive it !!

10. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

Aye.. not to imply your system was set up by an idiot. I think we will need a short VID with sound when you get that done! :)