Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

so far so good on the new ignition, but haven't driven the car much with cold and rainy weather in Northern CA.

But I did manage to score a brand new 9" build for a 2nd gen w/ leaf springs with a 3.89 tru-trac and 31 spline axles from a pro touring project over on PT.com that is moving to a full DSE back half set-up instead. Lucky me! Saved me a good $800-900 vs. building the same thing - and actually even more since it already has a nice brake line set-up installed and ready to go.

Time to get the ST40 rear brake kit installed and pop this into the car along with the new springs and bushings from UMI.

Oh - while it's apart I should really do all new brake line to the rear, so I have the stuff for that project as well.

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Did a quick brake mock up. Now I need to get the axle bearings pressed off to get the drum backing plate which is also the mount for the calipers behind the bearing. Guess I'll just bring the axles and backing plates to a rear end shop and have them do it for me since I don't have a press.

Also seems this will be about 1/2" wider than stock with this brake set-up. Seems to be a thicker hat since there is an integrated parking brake hub as part of it. Which will actually work out pretty good since the rear I am replacing is a 4th gen with 61.875" width vs. stock 2nd gen 61.25". So slightly wider than stock is actually better for the wheels I am running anyway - 18x10 rocket attack with 6" bs and a 295 tire.

[​IMG]

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Also - has anybody used the DSE shock mounts that locate the shocks inboard of the leaf springs?

I am unclear exactly how they mount - does this look right?

With the two I have it seems I would have one shock in front of axle and the other behind the axle. Is that OK?

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

found out I had two R side DSE mounts - one came in a L box. Now I have a matched pair so I can run the shocks behind the axle like I do now - so that should work.

Rear end is ready to go in with brakes all installed and dialed in.

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.
  6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen quite a few trucks with the shocks on opposite sides of the axle.

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Ya not sure the shocks will work with the existing mounts that way. I see no reason to change from now the shocks are mounted now. It works well.

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you move the shocks to the inside on the leaf springs, where do they mount at the top? same old spot?

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

That’s a good question. I think so. I didn’t do this originally got the car this way so I don’t know where the originals mount. I will post a picture.

dave@ztech likes this.
  10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

took the car to a cars and coffee event last saturday - we are experiencing some nice weather in CA right now - mid 60's, so I am hesitant to take the car apart right now. Might hold off a week or two actually and make this a March project.

I have a Ricks Tanks restomod fuel tank ready to go in the car with a Walbro 340 fuel pump that I will plumb into the existing 1/2" hard-line that is set-up as a supply / return configuration.

[​IMG]

Also got some new Apex wheels installed on my 2016 SS Convertible - 19x10.5 square with 295-35 Pilot SS tires.
    Loving it so far! Might need to drop the car 3/4" now, which was pretty much the plan all along.

[​IMG]