Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Few more pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Did the first test drive. so much better during cruise conditions! Still no sleeper at full throttle. And idle is a bit noisy too - but I think a roller cam with less duration at low lift will help that out too. Overall very livable and quieter than my last big inch big HP small block car that had 3" exhaust and same magnaflow mufflers.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice system and looks to fit up nice and close !! Really nice car!!

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Not much else happening yet, but I've been doing planning for power steering addition and new serpentine front drive, and some initial planning for brakes.

Made a few decisions on all that:
    Going with KRC power Elite-II alum PS pump and entire bracket and serpentine system from them to run water pump, head mounted PS and alternator. Water pump and PS will run 1:1 and alternator will run 2.3:1 which should be an ideal set-up for this motor RPM range and intended usage - mostly street but some occasional drag race runs and some autox and road course action eventually. Alternator will be GM CS130 style - looking at a powermaster 105A race prepped unit with 1 wire hook-up to match the current set-up.

Brakes - will go in phases, but main decision made to stick with manual brakes and build a system that works well with good feel and reasonable pedal pressure.

Parts starting to roll in for the PS and front drive - will update as I start mocking this up.

Meanwhile took the car to a small local car show for charity in San Jose last weekend - that was fun, got a lot of really nice compliments on the car - which of course go to the builder Marc not me! I'm just taking it to the next level.
    The exhaust update was a major improvement however - the car is pretty reasonable now, especially at cruise - even on the highway it's not that loud at all. The 15" tail pipe sections I added made a huge difference in sound vs. exit straight out the muffler before the axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Let’s see if I can post this video of the exhaust sound.

6. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

The exhaust sounds great! The car is nice looking.

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Installed a set of solid body bushings from PTFB. Was a bit challenging due to SFC's already installed, but I managed getting enough body separation by wedging some wood between the frame and then grinding off the locating collars of the old bushings. Luckily the new ones installed the collar portion from below, which is a good design decision!

Heading out for a drive now - will report back how it compares. Should tighten things up a bit - already had a stiff chassis due to the front bracing and SFCs so this completes the frame picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

WOW. Dramatic difference. The car rides so much better. Almost no rattles or shake at all. Feels a lot like a newer performance car chassis - and by newer I mean 2010+. Not too far off my 2016 Camaro.

Time for tubular LCA's and better front shocks to optimize the suspension geometry and better control.
    Hotchkis springs and sway bars front and rear, Bilstein rear shocks.

Not a bad handling car considering the age and all. I highly recommend solid body mounts and SFC's plus any additional front bracing on these cars. Mine has the PTFB set-up in the engine bay.

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Next project is power steering.

Whole shelf full of parts from KRC. Complete serpentine front drive set-up with a CS130 alternator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice work, sounds great!