Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Nice new accessory drive parts!

2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Borrowing from the circle track racer guys! Seems well made and it’s built for endurance.

Started the mock up today.

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Seems simple and robust. A few false starts on getting all the spacing worked out but with help from KRC tech support, I think things are on the right track. Waiting for an alternator to get the rest mocked up.

[​IMG]

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Still waiting on parts. I am keeping the delivery carriers busy this week. Parts coming from Rock auto, summit, PSC, Eklers, DSE with deliveries ranging from today to next Thursday.

So I have a shot at getting it back together next weekend with the new front drive setup and power steering installed. Crossing fingers everything goes together without too many curve-balls.

Also ordered bilstien shocks to go with the rears already installed and replace the less than optimal KYBs. Taking advantage of the 20pct off deal from ecklers. Also picked up a pair of original bullet style mirrors. Car has no passenger mirror which I hate and a old first gen style chrome mirror on drivers side. Doesn’t look right to me on this car or function very well either. Will probably paint them flat black for now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

got the alternator and did a trial fit. All seems OK. Only thing I need to tweak is bolt sizes - I used spacers for the initial mock up on the alternator bracket bolts through the water pump holes to keep the bolts from going too far into the block.
    But the lower one hits the belt. 5.5" bolts on order - couldn't find half inch sizes locally in bolts that long. Also need 1.75" bolts for this water pump. So another item to wait for while the PS stuff trickles in and I start to get that pieced together.

[​IMG]

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

PSC 12.7:1 steering box w/ metric fittings showed up today! Proforged power pitman arm and DSE rag joint fit!

One snafu - the DSE PS line kit doesn't come with -6AN hose for both lines - comes with one -6 hose and the return side is slightly larger and set up for a clamp on fitting on a factory type tank. Well - my tank is from a race car place and it's all -6AN pressure and return side and that is the hose they recommend running on their pump.

So I just placed an order for Aeroquip AQP hose and fittings per KRC's plumbing recommendations. It will cost me $50 more than the DSE set-up, but need to do this right.

[​IMG]

Scottyd likes this.
  7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am looking a power steering gear box, any reason you chose that one over the new one out by Borgensom ? however it's spelled , they have a new one that is , supposedly like the 600 series , for $475 , that looks good ? I want to do the swap only once , and I know you do the research,
    Thanks

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

From what I have been told by several sources is all the 12.7:1 boxes use the same gear.

So this is the PSC pro touring box that is resold by most of the sponsor vendors around here. Summit sells it for $475 plus I got $51 off on the cyber week sale. I believe this is also a 600 or 670 series case.

I couldn’t find the value in a Lee or Turn1 for almost double the price. PSC knows what they are doing and they all use the same actual gear. Maybe some subtle feel differences at the most. I couldn’t justify the cost delta.

I picked the model with the late GM metric fittings just because it’s the latest design. Doesn’t matter too much since I’m converting that to -AN anyway.

I haven’t looked into the one you mentioned but I’m sure it’s basically the same thing.

I did get the DSE rag joint as it seems to be the best design from what I can tell. You can buy most of the DSE products from summit these days btw. Not at a discount but gives you free shipping at least.

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Installed. No issues. Very tight clearance to my rather large radiator and fan set-up, but probably 1/2" of space so no problem - both are on the frame so don't move.

Rag joint installed nicely. DSE 3/4" 30 spline - seems very solid and well built.

Just need to install the pitman arm and then get the plumbing done - waiting a few more days on hose ends.
    Using Aeroquip AQP -6

On the install - I've read a few install stories where people are removing the steering column bolts from the firewall.
    There is no need to do that. Remove the old box with the pitman arm and rag joint still on it.
    Get the new rag joint on the new box pretty far down the splines but leave the set bolt loose. Remove the 2 bolts from the rag joint. Get the box into place by first getting the rag joint pins aligned with the steering column end.
    Support the unit and get the 3 bolts started - then tighten those up. Then put the 2 bolts from rag joint to steering column end and tighten those up. finally tighten the set screw and get the box and column aligned back to center.
    You can use the pitman arm just barely pushed on the splines to help move the box and column while installing and tightening the rag joint bolts and set screw. Mark the box on center if not done so at the factory - mine was marked on the shaft and housing.

[​IMG]

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

20180218_153816.jpg 20180101_104024.jpg Love the car and especially the color! I’m surprised you never mentioned option of installing air conditioning. I know when you installed exhaust you thought you could not run pipes out back over axle becuase shocks were moved inside the spring. I installed the 3” Pypes system over and out the back and I located the shocks inside the spring. I’m just pointing out it is an option.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018