Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

The bigger issue is the fuel system is in the way. So it’s a combination of issues.

This motor is pretty feisty. It isn’t very happy idling. Not sure how well AC would work out. Anyway - I live in a pretty moderate climate and have plenty of driving during good weather. On the rare occasion it’s in the 90s or 100s I have no interest in driving the hot rod. I have several new cars to chose from.

2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Finally got all my parts in-house. Made the PS lines over the weekend.

Went with Aeroquip AQP300 high pressure hose and stainless steel high pressure fittings. First time I have worked with either - very nicely made products and the fittings seem pretty fool-proof to assemble.

Now ready for final assembly of water pump and front drive, install PS lines and add fluids and then ready to fire it up. Sometime this week hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They look well made, hope all goes well, and you get to fire it up!!

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

goal today is find a lower radiator hose that will work 1.75" on both ends - stock is 1.5" and not bent correctly for my radiator. Probably end up with a flexible type.

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Got a radiator hose and the system is up and running now! Haven't gone for test drive yet, but power steering is functioning and the pump seems happy and no leaks. So far so good.

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Took it for a quick test drive around the block. Oh my word - this completely transforms the car to a modern hot rod.
    Manual steering (especially original sloppy early GM manual steering) and a handling car with wide tires - doesn't mix.
    This is the perfect set-up. Ratio is quick and razor sharp precise. Feel is better than my 2016 Camaro SS (which admittedly is electric, but it's very good for electric) which is the modern hot rod benchmark in many ways.
    Very happy with this set-up. On center feel is great with no slop - no dead zone, just nothing but goodness.

Box is the PSC pro-touring 700 series box with 12.7:1 ratio and .210 T-bar. Pump is KRC elite-II which outputs 1600psi. I have the middle flow valve - seems pretty spot on to me so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John Wright likes this.
  7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Not much to update. Busy with the holidays and family time. Hope everybody had a great holidays and got some time off work. The two weeks was awesome to rejuvenate!

I have taken several more drives in the car and the steering is just lovely. So crisp and fast and with good road feel and perfect weighting. I couldn’t be happier with it.

The front drive system from KRC is slightly troublesome. Only because I am using it out of spec on the alternator side. Normally they see smaller 50-80A alternators and run them at 1.6:1 or slower. I have a 140A Delco that turns on at 1600rpm and I’m running a 2:1 ratio with a small 1.75” pulley. Getting some belt squeal when the alternator comes on - especially when cold. Belt dressing helps but didn’t solve it completely. I may just try the 2.5” pulley - that gives the belt a lot more surface area to grab. With my idle at 1100 that should keep the alternator running above 1600 and turned on. I don’t need a ton of output at idle - big elec fans and a fuel pump and the ignition. Probably 60amps at most.

But something to optimize later.

Belts stay put up above 6K so that’s good.

Main drive is a 6 rib serpentine belt so that part is rock solid.

Been doing a lot of planning on front brakes, suspension and T56 install which will all happen together.

Plan is remove the front bumper and support and then pull the engine and trans together. Re-seal the motor - maybe see if my canton road race oil pan for a C4 will fit. And then get the T56 bellhousing and clutch and trans all installed on the motor to drop back in as an assembly.

While that’s going I will be also working on a better front brake set-up and suspension overhaul with coil overs and control arms. More to come on that as I finalize plans and start ordering parts.

Goal is to have all that done by the spring - March April timeframe so I can start enjoying the car fully when the weather gets good here in northern CA.

Oh and part of the brake upgrade will be a switch to 18x10” wheels and 275-35 200 TW tires while I’m at it. Couldnt get the brake setup I wanted under the 17” V40 wheels so decided to make that change now since I need tires anyway. Do it once.

8. BC'73RS

BC'73RS Member

My wallet curses you sir! I’m already in the middle of a LS3 swap and hadn’t planned a new steering box yet but now I gotta pick one up at Summitt later today. I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and do it with the added power that’s coming.

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Kind of where I'm at with the brakes. I figured it would be a bear to drive a car with 500+ hp that has manual steering and marginal manual brakes with a 6spd transmission too. So might as well bite the bullet and get it all done and set-up the car the way it will all work well together. Plus I am using a combination housing for brake and clutch master cylinders so I have to get that in place to do the transmission swap anyway. These things tend to snowball. Or maybe avalanche is the better analogy!

10. BC'73RS

BC'73RS Member

So very true!!