Promaxx Heads Rant

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rustbucket350, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I figured out why Patriot closed up and changed its name. I ordered a set of their cast iron heads, bolted them onto the motor, and noticed something was off. Well 2 sets of intake gaskets and 3 intakes later I measured the heads and all of the holes and ports on one head were 60 thousandths off from the other one. Ok, somebody stuck it in the CNC wrong, no big deal it happens. I called the company and spoke with the owner. He tells me he'll go measure one and call me back in 15 minutes. An hour goes by and I get upset. I called him back and asked what the measurements were. "Oh I haven't been out there yet". Really dude? Then he tells me its because of the head gaskets I used. Really??? My heads are off because I used the gaskets YOU specified in the instructions? At this point I got upset and told him I'm now out the cost of head gaskets, intake gaskets, and primer, base coat, and clear coat since I had already painted the heads. I told him no matter what gaskets I used it doesn't excuse the fact that two identical heads measure differently! We worked out a deal where I could upgrade to their aluminum heads and he would include the gaskets and shipping. Great! Except he never sent me an invoice or shipping details and now won't return my calls. This is a week later by the way. Plenty of time to write up one invoice. I ended up calling Jegs to just return them and decided to go with a better brand.

Long story short... if anybody is considering buying heads from them, measure everything as soon as you open the box and don't expect any kind of customer service from these people.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mouth wide shut...

3. Rustbucket350

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for lol. The AFR Eliminators are looking very tempting now.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't heard anything bad about Summit or Jeg's house brands. Eddelbrock's e-streets are priced well also. I have Eddy RPM and they work well but AFR FTW, they'll out do most. Mamo and others have said it - it's not the quantity of air you flow, but the quality.

5. Rustbucket350

I've heard good things about all those but I'm to the point where I'm done trying to skimp on heads. The AFRs are a good chunk of change but I'm already half way there with the credit from these.

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Plenty of reputable, long-established brands out there to choose from. Edelbrock, Brodix, AFR, Trick Flow, Pro-filer, Jegs house brand, etc...

I bought my Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads in March '95... coming up on 20 years. I broke a valve spring back in '99, but as it turns out, it was part of a defective batch. Other than that, no issues.

7. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Isn't Promaxx a off shore brand?

8. Rustbucket350

They're cast in China and machined in Alabama. Although the Vortecs I bought were actual GM 906 castings.

9. Rustbucket350

Wish I had seen this before I bought them:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209665

I guess the name changed but the quality of the machine work stayed the same. I'm glad they didn't send me those aluminum ones. I would never want their name posted anywhere in/on/around my car after this. Hopefully Fedex comes through tomorrow and takes them away so I can stop tripping over them.

An added bonus laugh... just for kicks I asked the owner when I was on the phone with him if they offered an aluminum Vortec head (didn't want to have to send back every intake I bought). He assured me they did. Then he asked what size the intake ports were and I told him. He replied that the aluminum ports were going to be smaller than the intake. I said "Listen, I already looked through your entire catalog and I know you don't offer an aluminum Vortec head". How do you run a company without knowledge of your own product?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  10. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Not only does the owner sound like a dumbass... they don't QC all the heads. Thanks for posting.