Protouring F-Body feedback

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by VSTOL, Nov 8, 2019.

1. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. PTFB has a lot of real world experience and many satisfied customers and is a regular contributor and supporter of this site. I'll bet PTFB is a lot cheaper too. If I decide to upgrade my suspension I would lean that way. The older I get the slower I drive so suspension upgrades are moving down the list for me.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

PT F-Body has some great stuff.
    It's also worth looking at Custom Works, and Global West's Cat V springs.

I'm not a huge fan of ART's rear suspension. It's a 4-link and the lower control arms are WAY too short (like 12+ inches) to create a suspension without bind. In general, 4-links aren't great for 2nd Gen Camaro's, the lower control arm needs to be 40+ inches long, which requires cutting out the floorplan and can interfere with the front seat mounts.

For a streetcar and some VERY fast track cars, there isn't a much of an advantage to getting rid of the leafsprings if you are staying with a solid rear axle.
    Now if you wanna get nuts, Art Morrison makes an IRS conversion, but prepare to have 100 hours into the install
    https://www.artmorrison.com/multilinkirs.php

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

Thanks I am not a fan of Arts stuff, will look into the two companies as well. Ride Tech has composite springs which I had on the Corvettes.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

My personal opinion, when it comes to leaf springs there isn’t much difference between any brand. Shocks will become more important. PTFB has a long history of delivery delays and frustrated customers so your choice. I would steer you to Hotchkis, Detroit Speed and Global West. Much higher quality products. You can buy their parts from any big name store like Summit and Jegs. Shipping will be free and returns will be easy and immediate 24/7 if you have a problem. Shipping leaf springs isn’t cheap.

6. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

thanks

7. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

From the horse's mouth not the horse's back side. First off understand that Mr badass has a grudge and has as he says an OPINION. (what happened to showing up at LS Fest???)
    PTFB is the ONLY company that has 4 different leaf springs 2 of them are exclusive MADE IN THE USA and assembled in our shop, the others are made over seas, Summit leafs are absolute junk, the only one remotely on par with PTFB Comp leaf springs are the GW CatV but will cost you 50%
    Four other companies also sell the same version of the same spring.
    PTFB is a small company dedicated to 2nd gens we are a custom shop manufacture in the US, and I'm the last of the owners that still helps people on the boards.
    7 SCCA regional CHAMPIONSHIPS, 2nd and 4th place at the SCCA national invitationals! multiple optima events, Ultimate street car event winner, and ALL our customers are average guys with true street cars weighing 3500#-4000# that are driven to the races and driven back. logan's Camaro rh turn rear travel.jpg travis at umi.jpg sean at CAM Challenge.jpg PTFB wins 2019 UMI Challenge.jpg

dale68z likes this.
  8. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

Thanks Aman I had just called your office but no answer. You also had sent me an email a few minutes ago. Kevin

9. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Have PTFB products in my 71Z28 as well as a 81Z28 finished earlier this year for a customer. Dave is great to work with, has fair prices I have not experienced any delays getting parts. Everything we've received has been top quality. The 81 has an 1LE kit, my 71 has the GT kit. If the car's usage is primarily street driving, the 1LE kit is the way to go. These cars are sensitive to shocks, especially in the rear. Money spent on quality adjustable shocks especially in the rear is well spent. Both cars utilize OEM sway bars, just different sizes. The PTFB solid subframe mounts and sub frame connectors are the best value for the money and are quality pieces. PTFB upper control arms and long upper ball joints will easily get you 6 degrees of positive caster while still using the original lower control arms. Should we do another 2nd gen, we'll use PTFB products again.

dale68z, 72BIGBLOCK and 79T/Aman like this.
  10. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

THANK YOU SIR.