Putting in a lt4 engine, just making sure I have my ducks in a row.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by SPG, Oct 3, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Hey everyone, I have a 75 camaro and alt4 engine with a 8L90-E trans and computer from a salvaged 2015 z06 and i just want to make sure I have the basics down before I start to tackle this major project.
    Before I go further I want to make 2 things very clear, already have the engine (was acquired unrelated to this project but it works out well) and I don't really want to sell it for something else, and I know there will be a lot of mechanical work involved in this that I'm prepared to handle with the help of my dad.
    Anyways I've done a bit of research on this but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything major before I proceed this weekend when I get everything in the mail.
    I ordered this kit and it seems to have everything I need to get started. I probably should have asked here if there was a better option....never too late to return things if you suggest I use something else.
    Is there anything else I should make note of for such a big project? Do you think I can use the rad from the corvette as well? or would I have to buy a new one. And are there any other brackets I should buy or little things that I'll probably need that I'm forgetting?
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

The transmission won't work, it's designed to be rear mounted at the end of a torque tube in a Corvette application. You need one from a rwd truck/van or Camaro. Fuel system is another thing to start figuring out now. LT4 is direct inject, so fuel system needs to be able to support enough volume. I haven't used a BRP kit for an LT yet, their early LS kits had issues, hopefully they got the fitment sorted out. Beyond that, sounds like a fun project, good luck with it:bowtie:

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I used brp on my 69 camaro and they worked out great

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Pretty sure that's the same trans they use in the current gen camaros as well...I can look into getting something else but I think that would mean I'd need a different computer as well.
    I'll do some research on the fuel system to make sure it will work with this project though, thanks for the info.
    thanks for the reassurance!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

I am watching this, I would love to see it work. I don’t doubt it can be done, the first person to shove a sbc in an opel gt was told it wouldn’t work also, yet they used to be everywhere.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah - Corvette transmission is a trans-axle which is Corvette specific. It really isn't practical for the F-Body as it's too wide for the factory tunnel. Bear in mind also that the driveshaft (torque-tube) spins at engine speed, replacing it with a different length isn't cheap.

Might be worth a call to http://tildenmotorsports.com/ They make all sorts of cool LS/LT swap stuff and can help you with a harness and acquiring a take-out transmission

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Alright thanks, I'll look into that if I still with the plan of a swap (might just rebuild the engine)