Pypes exhaust hangers

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Gipper, May 10, 2019.

1. Gipper

Gipper Veteran Member

I’m installing the SFG11 X pipe system. My question is for all that have this system installed. Did you actually drill holes in your floor pans to install the hangers to the mufflers??!! Is there anyone that built an alternative hanger ? Anyone successfully use the cross flow muffler mounts?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the Thrush system (transverse muffler & "H" pipe, 2 1/2" system) and used the factory muffler hanger location to support the exhaust.
    I didn't want to drill holes in the floor pan either.

The whole thing is hanging from the headers and the original transverse muffler hangers.
    No problems at all after 50K miles.

3. Gipper

Gipper Veteran Member

With the dual muffler system the tail pipe joint doesn’t align with the cross flow muffler mounts bracket. Time to get creative. I’m not putting holes in it, I’ll probable have to tack weld on home made brackets.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I have seen this setup. Uses the traverse muffler hangers. at least for me i have issues trying to stuff 3 inch pipes under the car.

20141225_171316_zpsl3n2pvqr.jpg

5. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Veteran Member

I did that kit on mine with new headers and the Street pro mufflers and it was a royal pain in the A$$. Still hitting on the trans cross member now and then and fitting the tailpipes was much more difficult then I thought it would be when I ordered the kit.

6. Gipper

Gipper Veteran Member

I picked up a couple of swivel hangers from summit and mounted them on the crossflow muffler brackets. Worked great. I agree that the tailpipe design sux. I ended up cutting mine 2” after the final bend to clear the leaf springs and quarter panels.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

pypes 2.5 i used magnaflow stainless clamps and were the stainless two piece driveshaft loop is i mounted the hangers there with stainless fasteners(metal lock nuts ) i can remove bottom of loop without loosening the exhaust the hangers at back came with the kit i seemed to have lost that pic but its back by the end of tailpipe. i will retake and post

Attached Files:

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

And there is no noise getting into the body of the car? Rubber is instrumental in isolating that...