Quadrajet e4me part

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by mark wagner, Aug 26, 2019.

1. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

I recently purchased a 1981 Corvette in need of some work. Car had been sitting for some time, so I drained the dead gas and sludge from the tank, added fresh gas, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and module. Got her running and the carb would blow gas straight up when hitting the throttle..so I bought a rebuild kit for it and began the process of the tearing it down, Then this small piece falls out and I cant figure out where it came from and the diagrams don't show it..HELP! Any help is greatly appreciated, I haven't been inside a Q-jet in over 40 years! 20190811_155700.jpg

2. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like the accelerator pump plunger actuator (#11 on the E4ME exploded diagram). Fits into the top of the carb underneath the accelerator pump lever arm. If that rebuild doesn't work out for you let me know I should have a couple E4ME carbs I can pull off the shelf and rebuild for you.

3. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If its aluminum, it's the plug that goes in the front middle top of the carb to plug the external mixture solenoid adjustment hole. It is used to cap it from outside from outside dirt entering the carb, Also hold the screw in adjustment. There are special procedures to follow during rebuild to adjust the rich and lean stops for the MC solenoid. Pay close attention to the rebuild instructions. Also read up on setting the final MC solenoid dwell. Also the idle mixture screw preset. There also is a similar plug near the accelerator for the throttle position sensor adjustment. Look in your kit. New plugs are usually supplied.

Ricks72Z28 likes this.
  4. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

thanks guys. Keith, it wasn't the accelerator plunger actuator, which does look similar, Ron was correct it was the plug he described. but if this rebuild doesn't work out I may just take you up on the offer. basically I did a tear down and cleaning without changing any settings, I discovered the two brass vent tubes had come loose and fallen out of the upper air horn assembly, so I tapped them in with a plastic screw driver handle. the tapered aluminum plug literally fell out as I was re assembling. Thank you both! I really appreciate the help!

5. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good call Ron!
    Mark, good luck with the project and keep us posted.