Question for those who retrofitted a TPI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by tpi78ta, Apr 10, 2006.

1. tpi78ta

tpi78ta New Member

What are your thoughts on moving the relays and inline fuses to a centralized panel?

I don't know too much about wiring, but I'm considering a small accessory fuse/relay panel to move the relays and inline fuses for the TPI harness to one location.

Would it cause a problem having to lengthen some of the wires?
    Also, if anyone has done something like this with any EFI retrofit please post pics or links.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did the swap but I bought a custom harness. The switched power comes from my factory fuse box the constant power comes from an auxiliary box mounted over the battery tucked slightly under the fender. My fan and fuel pump relays are on the firewall. With the harness and the custom chip the fuel injection store provided it was a plug and play deal.

http://www.jimsperformance.com/

I hope that helps at least a little.

3. tpi78ta

tpi78ta New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm using an 1986 TPI intake and a Painless wiring kit for the install which has accomodations for 4 inline fuses and the firewall mounted relays just as it was in the '86. My intention is to have as few wires as possible showing in the engine bay, and what I would like to do is move the inline fuses and relays to an accessory panel next to the factory fuse panel in the car.

I am trying to get a good mix between show and go for the car.