Questions: fuel tank/pump for LS conversion

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by daniel76309, Jan 28, 2009.

1. 1FSTLS1

1FSTLS1 Veteran Member

where is the best place to get a new replacement gas tank that is not over priced?

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year tank is that? Can you take pictures of the bucket too?

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I dunno, I think you are going to be quite displeased when you drive the car.
    Sitting it will work fine, but without any baffles around the pump inlet you will
    be sucking air on turns, take offs and stops, unless you keep a 1/4 or more
    fuel in the tank. I have read time and time again of this being the result.

Tom

4. PolarBear

Where have you read this? I have a 4th gen tank in my 3rd gen and I havent had any problems with it when it is low and as far as I know the 4th gen tanks dont have any baffling in them. I have been wondering how to do exactly what he did. If that is a 98 f-body sender I know what I am going to do.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

just stay away from those walbro ...f-u....pumps

simple........if you place the pick-up the same place gm did......no prob. While i have heard of issues i have yet to see a single pump located in the same place GM located thier pick-up..........go figure.......so who's the d'%^&*(ass here............btw go aeromotive...:)
    google aeromotive 111-40....111-41....11142...I have been thru 2 walbro with less than 40 hr run time.....f^&*( chinese ch*t.....aeromotive pump isame size.....only 20% more effficient...= 340 lph...:)will do the install on my progess link sooooooooon.........

6. firebird_ta79

firebird_ta79 New Member

The top part of the tank is from a 97 safari van I just looked for a GM that had a steel tank with a plastic pump and flat on top, that was the first one I found.

Here are a few shots of the pump outside of the tank. It’s a 2002 sender unit but I’m sure it’s very similar to a 98 as it looks like the same design as the one in my 03 Cavalier.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. PolarBear

That is all good to know. The 98 F-boody had a steel tank but I have yet to see one but the pictures you showed the sender looks just like the 99-02 f-body setup. Can you measure the height of that assembly at fully collapsed? If it is the same as the f-body it isnt going to work in an early 2nd gen tank without trunk floor modifications

8. firebird_ta79

firebird_ta79 New Member

The pump is around 9 inches fully collapsed, but you might be able to shorting some .

9. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You get better atomization at 50psi. On a supercharged application, keep in mind you also need a 1:1 raise with boost. I've run setups well into the 60s.

Agree, it should be regulated properly or you will be chasing the tune.

-- Joe

10. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Walbro pumps are fine. Been using them for over a decade, and when I owned a shop Walbro's went into everything.

The only failures I've heard of walbro were people who didn't change the strainer, or literally had tons of crap in the tank which clogged the strainer.

-- Joe