quick fix rear main seal?

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 80/RS, Jan 5, 2010.

1. 80/RS

80/RS Member

Sep 11, 2009
    southern Ontario
    don't have the time to pull the motor right now as i have to many things on the go right now. So i was wondering if anyone has a quick fix additive that would work.

Thanks

2. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Arkansas City, KS
    lucas engine oil stop leak should at least help sow it if not stop it for a while. I use it on my daily driver, my truck tends to get a little crankcase pressure and push past the rear main when workign it on highway but with this stuff its dry

3. 80/RS

80/RS Member

Sep 11, 2009
    southern Ontario
    I thought about thatjust was not sure if it worked or not

Thanks

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Used that stuff in a steering gear and an auto trans, both were leaking. Took a week or so but it really did work. Amazed the heck out of me.

5. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    I picked up a bottle of Lucas Oil Stop Leak too. I'll put it in when I change the oil in the spring, if there ever is a spring! :whine: If it works as well as their Automatic Transmission fix did for me, I'll (or we'll) be in good shape!

BTW- this should maybe be in the engine topic forum?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. nukeemz28

nukeemz28 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Olathe, KS
    You shouldn't have to pull the engine to replace the rear main unless it's a one piece design. Take the distributor cap loose, jack engine up as high as possible, remove torque converter cover, remove oil pan, (may have to turn crank to position #1 rod journal up) remove rear main cap, replace seal.:bowtie:

7. 80/RS

80/RS Member

Sep 11, 2009
    southern Ontario
    cool thank proble is with changing it at this time is #1 weather #2 i am giving up my garage and moving the car to another garage but no work is allowed. So i was thinking of just a quick fix for the time being. And when i get moved i will change it

Thanks for all the help