Quick Parking Brake Release Question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Nov 19, 2019.

1. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So here's my problem:
    When I am inside the car, and I step on the parking brake, it engages and holds tight. Unfortunately when I pull the release lever, it isnt springing back into position the way it used to. (I had my car at a shop briefly for some minor paint repairs and I am 100% sure it was working before I brought it to them, but I didnt notice it wasnt working until after I got it back home.) I can manually lift the parking brake pedal and move it back to the "up" (not engaged) position.

So my question is:
    Is there a spring on the inside of the parking brake that helps it retract when you pull on the release handle, or is the tension on parking brake cable supposed to pull it back into the disengaged position? Is there some other method?

I am hoping it is just a tension thing and that I just need to tighten the cable, which seemed a bit loose. If there is a spring or something inside the parking brake assembly, then I am going to have to remove the entire assembly and figure out what is going on.

I cant find any pictures of the reverse side of the parking brake... any tips are appreciated!

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You need to adjust the cable. Pull the handle all the way up and tighten the jam nuts to take up the slack

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And the cable under the car could have crud build up.

4. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Might have to do some inspecting as there is a return spring on each cable going through the backup plate and then another on the front cable assembly in the area where the adjuster nut is at. Basically you have three return springs. Sometimes the rear cables get gummed up or rusted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's possible too maybe the cable got stretched or something pulled loose from someone pressing the pedal down way too hard. I've also seen the S shaped support or guide be put into the wrong spots under a car.

Pictures of when I replaced the cables on my 68 Chevy II Nova:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums/72157643273824493/with/13564411963/

Jim

5. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the fast responses guys, this helps a lot. (It's also what I was hoping to hear. Lol)

It is/was a brand new Lokar stainless steel cable.

Thanks for those pics Jim, that helps a lot. I did notice a spring was loose (under the car) up near the entry hole where the cable enters the cabin, which I didnt remember being like that before. My theory is the parking brake was engaged and someone stomped on the accelerator, which caused something to break loose. The good news is that it definitely looks like the problem is with one (or both) cables where it branches off, going to the rear wheels and not the cable as it converges to go into the cabin. That at least gives me a headstart on where to look to fix this.

Im a little irritated because I am pretty sure that Lokar parking cable wasnt cheap, but oh well. Nothing I can do now, but fix it.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What year car? My 70 has a spring under the car on the cables. They are known to break and fall off.

7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

At least yours worked when installed while the one I got from Inline Tube irritated me and needed some coils cut off the spring on the front cable. Darn thing was just made wrong and I'm just glad I had the originals to compare them to to figure a work around.

I'm curious where this spring is on the 70 model and hopefully is something that if missing, can be easily replaced.

Jim

8. blackhood

blackhood New Member

pull the cable, but if the problem still there you must check them in car mechanic to be more safe check out GJ drivelines https://gjdrivelines.com.au/ they are great car repair service