Quick Question 70 RS/Z28 California car

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Buckums, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Buckums

Buckums New Member

going to make the trek to look at a 70 RS/z28 today. not original motor, trans and now see it has a 10 bolt. has correct speedo, tach, torsion bars, tail lights. to seller's knowledge it is a z28. what do you guys think? any feedback appreciated supposed to leave in a few hours to go look it over. don't want to waste my time if real chance its not true z28.

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went to look at a 70 and when I looked at the Vin# I saw it was a 71 the owner thought it was a 70 because of the split bumper, HAA HA

3. Buckums

Buckums New Member

the VIN says its a 70, V8 car, built in Cal so no tag to tell its a z28. was on ebay a few days ago you may have seen it. copper colored RS z28.

4. Buckums

Buckums New Member

does anyone know of anything else i can look for to verify its a z28?

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Welcome to the site. First thing I would do is have him send a pic of the vin tag under the hood. If it's a real Z it should have Z28 stamped on it. Also it should have the floor mounted gas pedal,12 bolt rear-end with sway bar and bolt holes for sway bar mounts in the rear frame rails. Also 26 inch radiator and fan shroud. You said it has correct speedometer and tach. It should also have gauges instead of idiot lights. If it is original paint in the trunk it may have the positraction sticker on the inside of the trunk lid. I am sure others with more knowledge of the Z28 will chime in soon. If Good luck with the purchase if it is what you want.

6. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    What 70 said :)

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Stndard stuff for a 70 z...Floor mounted gas pedal, aluminum spacers under the rubber bumpers on the lower A-arms, if its a Z28 built for California market it will have a charcoal canister (if its still there) on the drivers side inner fender that will have 4 hose connections instead of the usual 3, Rear sway bar brackets welded to the frame above the rear wheels. those are the easy things that have to be there besides the engine and rear end. Many other things can be looked for that are also possible for other cars (SS) and other specific options like the right radiator etc. Other things can't be there, like AC, front drum brakes etc.

8. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I’ve understood that only the Norwood Ohio built z28s had the under hood tag stamp unless the California built Camaros had something else to identify z28s.

70-camaro likes this.
  9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

True. LA cars are hard to trace via the TT.

They did though have build sheets with them usually. Something that's rare on Norwood cars.

That's one reason why original docs-history are so important with these cars. i would hate to be in the market for one of these cars lately. So many forged cars with fake docs floating around.

More here:
    http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/stegmiller/cowl_tags.htm

70-camaro likes this.
  10. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

I seen a copper 70 RS Z on ebay a few days ago it has tan interior is this the car? If so it does Have Z28 on the cowl tag under the hood. IT also has the 8grand tach which is a Z28 thing also has the Z28 rear bumper guards.